collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: What's in the Glass - Commercial  (Read 317636 times)

Offline NigeP62

• Friendly Online Brewstore Owner
  • Retailer
  • Member Rating 81
    • Online Brew Store
Re: What's in the Glass - Commercial
« Reply #3660 on: October 13, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
So Feral sold out to Coke hey. Another one bites the dust.

https://thewest.com.au/business/mergers-and-acquisitions/craft-beer-favourite-feral-brewery-sold-to-coca-cola-amatil-ng-b88627158z

Seems to me a good blueprint to make a feck load of cash these days. Flog yourself to death making a business for 5-10 years then retire. Well done to them I say.
Agree. Not sure why people get upset at business success stories. Vale bought out today too.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Its always the same old story: The products you love are never the same again.
Not always, Mountain Goat has managed very well under Asashi.

Online gadjitsteve

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 33
« Reply #3661 on: October 13, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »

https://thewest.com.au/business/mergers-and-acquisitions/craft-beer-favourite-feral-brewery-sold-to-coca-cola-amatil-ng-b88627158z

Seems to me a good blueprint to make a feck load of cash these days. Flog yourself to death making a business for 5-10 years then retire. Well done to them I say.
Agree. Not sure why people get upset at business success stories. Vale bought out today too.

Nail brewery will be effected by Feral selling up too I'm lead to believe.

It's certainly not the end of the world. There's a never ending supply of great up and coming craft breweries in Australia

Offline Beerlust

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 2
« Reply #3662 on: October 14, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »

Nail brewery will be effected by Feral selling up too I'm lead to believe.

It's certainly not the end of the world. There's a never ending supply of great up and coming craft breweries in Australia

The trouble with these takeovers is the new parent company's pen-pushers & bean-counters start waving the finger at the production costs of these great beers & pretty soon they dumb down/water down the recipes to minimize costs & you're left with a beer that is then a mere shadow of it's former self.

For these big breweries it's about shelf & tap dominance, & eliminating the competition.

Cheers,

Lusty.
Awesome beer is just around the corner. I'll meet you there!

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 50
    • StillDragon
« Reply #3663 on: October 15, 2017, 04:04:21 AM »
I have some cans of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the fridge. It's pretty good.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #3664 on: Yesterday at 09:20:59 AM »
The trouble with these takeovers is the new parent company's pen-pushers & bean-counters start waving the finger at the production costs of these great beers & pretty soon they dumb down/water down the recipes to minimize costs & you're left with a beer that is then a mere shadow of it's former self.

For these big breweries it's about shelf & tap dominance, & eliminating the competition.

Cheers,

Lusty.

And in come more little independent breweries and the cycle starts all over again... (no different to many businesses out there... see it in consulting engineering firms often too.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline cronessa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 20
« Reply #3665 on: Yesterday at 08:16:40 PM »
None of these surprise me, I figure any brewery selling volume in Uncle Dan's is owned by a multinational or about to be owned by a multinational.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 32
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #3666 on: Yesterday at 08:33:15 PM »
Not really true.

Selling beer is like selling anything but we'll just stick with beer.

Market penetration is a key to selling beer. Alongside and it and working hand in hand is logistics. Look at Amazon, it's just one giant logistics company. Coca Cola have probably the deepest market penetration wordwide of any other company. Absolutely ideally placed to get beer into every corner of this planet.

This is where a lot of smaller brewers struggle. If you have a brewery/restaurant then you have a magnet, without it, you're pretty much limited. You are literally winging it.
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 57
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #3667 on: Today at 07:24:46 PM »
Not really true.

Selling beer is like selling anything but we'll just stick with beer.

Market penetration is a key to selling beer. Alongside and it and working hand in hand is logistics. Look at Amazon, it's just one giant logistics company. Coca Cola have probably the deepest market penetration wordwide of any other company. Absolutely ideally placed to get beer into every corner of this planet.

This is where a lot of smaller brewers struggle. If you have a brewery/restaurant then you have a magnet, without it, you're pretty much limited. You are literally winging it.

Cash flow is pretty important too. I don't think it's uncommon for micros to have to wait to sell some beer or wait until a debtor pays to be able to buy malt before they can brew. Coke should have some cash lying around if they're struggling to collect on some debts.

Not sure if it's related or not, but CCL are up since last week. The market has had a good week, so it might be entirely unrelated to buying Feral.

I had a Little Creatures pale on Sunday, I don't think Lion Nathan buying them has completely ruined that beer yet.
I have nothing interesting to add here.