collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: What's in the Glass - Commercial  (Read 348050 times)

Offline NigeP62

• Friendly Online Brewstore Owner
  • Retailer
  • Member Rating 81
    • Online Brew Store
Re: What's in the Glass - Commercial
« Reply #3660 on: October 13, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
So Feral sold out to Coke hey. Another one bites the dust.

https://thewest.com.au/business/mergers-and-acquisitions/craft-beer-favourite-feral-brewery-sold-to-coca-cola-amatil-ng-b88627158z

Seems to me a good blueprint to make a feck load of cash these days. Flog yourself to death making a business for 5-10 years then retire. Well done to them I say.
Agree. Not sure why people get upset at business success stories. Vale bought out today too.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Its always the same old story: The products you love are never the same again.
Not always, Mountain Goat has managed very well under Asashi.

Offline gadjitsteve

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 33
« Reply #3661 on: October 13, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »

https://thewest.com.au/business/mergers-and-acquisitions/craft-beer-favourite-feral-brewery-sold-to-coca-cola-amatil-ng-b88627158z

Seems to me a good blueprint to make a feck load of cash these days. Flog yourself to death making a business for 5-10 years then retire. Well done to them I say.
Agree. Not sure why people get upset at business success stories. Vale bought out today too.

Nail brewery will be effected by Feral selling up too I'm lead to believe.

It's certainly not the end of the world. There's a never ending supply of great up and coming craft breweries in Australia

Offline Beerlust

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 2
« Reply #3662 on: October 14, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »

Nail brewery will be effected by Feral selling up too I'm lead to believe.

It's certainly not the end of the world. There's a never ending supply of great up and coming craft breweries in Australia

The trouble with these takeovers is the new parent company's pen-pushers & bean-counters start waving the finger at the production costs of these great beers & pretty soon they dumb down/water down the recipes to minimize costs & you're left with a beer that is then a mere shadow of it's former self.

For these big breweries it's about shelf & tap dominance, & eliminating the competition.

Cheers,

Lusty.
Awesome beer is just around the corner. I'll meet you there!

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 51
    • StillDragon
« Reply #3663 on: October 15, 2017, 04:04:21 AM »
I have some cans of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the fridge. It's pretty good.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #3664 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
The trouble with these takeovers is the new parent company's pen-pushers & bean-counters start waving the finger at the production costs of these great beers & pretty soon they dumb down/water down the recipes to minimize costs & you're left with a beer that is then a mere shadow of it's former self.

For these big breweries it's about shelf & tap dominance, & eliminating the competition.

Cheers,

Lusty.

And in come more little independent breweries and the cycle starts all over again... (no different to many businesses out there... see it in consulting engineering firms often too.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline cronessa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 20
« Reply #3665 on: October 16, 2017, 08:16:40 PM »
None of these surprise me, I figure any brewery selling volume in Uncle Dan's is owned by a multinational or about to be owned by a multinational.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 33
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #3666 on: October 16, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
Not really true.

Selling beer is like selling anything but we'll just stick with beer.

Market penetration is a key to selling beer. Alongside and it and working hand in hand is logistics. Look at Amazon, it's just one giant logistics company. Coca Cola have probably the deepest market penetration wordwide of any other company. Absolutely ideally placed to get beer into every corner of this planet.

This is where a lot of smaller brewers struggle. If you have a brewery/restaurant then you have a magnet, without it, you're pretty much limited. You are literally winging it.
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 57
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #3667 on: October 17, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
Not really true.

Market penetration is a key to selling beer. Alongside and it and working hand in hand is logistics. Look at Amazon, it's just one giant logistics company. Coca Cola have probably the deepest market penetration wordwide of any other company. Absolutely ideally placed to get beer into every corner of this planet.

This is where a lot of smaller brewers struggle. If you have a brewery/restaurant then you have a magnet, without it, you're pretty much limited. You are literally winging it.

Cash flow is pretty important too. I don't think it's uncommon for micros to have to wait to sell some beer or wait until a debtor pays to be able to buy malt before they can brew. Coke should have some cash lying around if they're struggling to collect on some debts.

Not sure if it's related or not, but CCL are up since last week. The market has had a good week, so it might be entirely unrelated to buying Feral.

I had a Little Creatures pale on Sunday, I don't think Lion Nathan buying them has completely ruined that beer yet.
I have nothing interesting to add here.

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 51
    • StillDragon
« Reply #3668 on: October 18, 2017, 04:02:17 AM »
A very big dent in a very nice bottle of Reposada.

WhyDidn'tSomeoneStopMePunkin

Offline Forktree

• Member Rating 1
  • Put a fork in it
    • Forktree on twitter
« Reply #3669 on: October 18, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
Not really true.

You're winging it to a point.. I'm distributing, mainly down south because its easier for me to get product to the outlet when they need it and we certainly work on getting people supporting local. It's definitely important to build a relationship with the outlet and the people who are selling your beer. In saying that it aint easy by any stretch (but fkn good fun!!)

I can't wait till we have our outlet open down in Carrickalinga.. at the moment it's all about building brand recognition and (hopefully) producing something people dig

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #3670 on: October 19, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »
Not really true.

You're winging it to a point.. I'm distributing, mainly down south because its easier for me to get product to the outlet when they need it and we certainly work on getting people supporting local. It's definitely important to build a relationship with the outlet and the people who are selling your beer. In saying that it aint easy by any stretch (but fkn good fun!!)

I can't wait till we have our outlet open down in Carrickalinga.. at the moment it's all about building brand recognition and (hopefully) producing something people dig

Bang on. and I'm winging it definitely. Whilst also engineering 4 days a week still.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 33
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #3671 on: October 19, 2017, 07:26:35 PM »
Yes, pretty much spot on Forktree and Raven.

I'm like a lot of beer enthusiasts and will go out of my way to support people like you guys and stuff the big guys. Much like everyone else here. Beer enthusiasts are a growing bunch and I think you got a pretty bright future ahead.

To all Micro-brewers and potential Micro-brewers that read this, I'm in the midst of setting up a system within my own business to be able to print and produce affordable labels for those that bottle beer. I'm not in a position to lose money but am willing to offer substantial discounts and referral bonuses.

Works both ways, and I'm trying to encourage Micros's not to go to the big guys for their labels, we're a small business too but pretty well equipped, we can cover pretty much all the labelling requirements of brewers. A selfless plug, hope it doesn't offend.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:00:50 PM by labels »
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline Forktree

• Member Rating 1
  • Put a fork in it
    • Forktree on twitter
« Reply #3672 on: October 19, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »

I'm like a lot of beer enthusiasts and will go out of my way to support people like you guys and stuff the big guys. Much like everyone else here. Beer enthusiasts are a growing bunch and I think you got a pretty bright future ahead.

To all Micro-brewers and potential Micro-brewers that read this, I'm in the midst of setting up a system within my own business to be able to print and produce affordable labels for those that bottle beer. I'm not in a position to lose money but am willing to offer substantial discounts and referral bonuses.

Works both ways, and I'm trying to encourage Micros's not to go to the big guys for their labels, we're a small business too but pretty well equipped, we can cover pretty much all the labelling requirements of brewers. A selfless plug, hope it doesn't offend.

Pm sent mate.. gotta support each other

Know what you mean @raven19. Still 5 days at my day job at the mo but its all for the greater good 😊

Offline Dez

• Krausen Fancier
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 9
  • Fancies Krausens
« Reply #3673 on: October 21, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
Did Stone and Wood earlier.  Not bad!
Now here.
Balter Brewing Company. 
Never had their beers before. Good! Great venue too. Clearly a lot of money spent.

Also fancies pellicles.

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 57
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #3674 on: October 22, 2017, 02:32:19 AM »

Have you spoken to Simo at Brewboys? I saw this post yesterday and was going to mention it to him, but he wasn't there.
I have nothing interesting to add here.

Offline Malted

• Beer Nomad
  • Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 88
  • Learning; one glass at a time
« Reply #3675 on: October 22, 2017, 05:46:18 PM »
Well brewed but not really my thing. I think i don't like 'piney'?
If it ain't half off, it ain't on sale!

Offline Malted

• Beer Nomad
  • Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 88
« Reply #3676 on: October 22, 2017, 05:49:31 PM »
Arghhhh me hearties! It's a pirate life for me. Thus far i have enjoyed every PL beer i have tried.

Offline Malted

• Beer Nomad
  • Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 88
« Reply #3677 on: October 22, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »
Another goodun.

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 51
    • StillDragon
« Reply #3678 on: October 23, 2017, 03:25:31 AM »
The Mosaic is another good one from PL.

Offline Malted

• Beer Nomad
  • Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 88
« Reply #3679 on: October 23, 2017, 08:42:08 AM »
The Mosaic is another good one from PL.
Great, I bought a can of that too!