collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: Show us your vegetable patch  (Read 84679 times)

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
Re: Show us your vegetable patch
« Reply #480 on: June 29, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
Thanks lads, needed a laugh today.

And thanks Robbo, happily take the aquarium pump back in exchange for some seedlings in spring. Need to get your pbw to you as well.

Offline fewbrew

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 2
« Reply #481 on: June 29, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
Worm castings have worked the best with me for tea. A bit of dry hopping with it. White sugar accelerates the bacteria. I had air pump going for days for best results, you get a min krausen. Under the impression you can dilute castings straight into chlorine free water and let the bacteria do it's own thing once in use. Foam eskies degrade quick with the uv light. I have covered exterior for mini wicking beds. Plastic symbol 1, 2 and 4 are best for food related vessels.

Offline Himzo

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 8
« Reply #482 on: August 10, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »
Not sure what others think, but I was wondering if it's too early to start planting seeds for this years summer crop. By that I mean in seed trays out of the weather.

Possibly a bit different for different parts of the state I guess,

H.
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!”

Offline NigeP62

• Friendly Online Brewstore Owner
  • Retailer
  • Member Rating 83
    • Online Brew Store
« Reply #483 on: August 10, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
Not sure what others think, but I was wondering if it's too early to start planting seeds for this years summer crop. By that I mean in seed trays out of the weather.

H.
Still too cold in the hills for direct seeding I think. Chance of frost high also in the coming month or so.
I have started planting seeds in trays in my fermenting room under the house ready for September.
Will likely still need some frost protection when planted for a week or so.
I'll be sowing peas and beans direct in the next week or so though. Usually pretty reliable.
Smurto can probably be more helpful.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
« Reply #484 on: August 10, 2017, 08:26:43 PM »

H.
Still too cold in the hills for direct seeding I think. Chance of frost high also in the coming month or so.
I have started planting seeds in trays in my fermenting room under the house ready for September.
I'll be sowing peas and beans direct in the next week or so though. Usually pretty reliable.
Definitely too cold to direct seed summer only plants, you can plant peas, beans, lettuce, asian veg etc  now though. Still a high chance of frost until October here but that's very location dependent. I would normally already have seeds for tomatoes, chillis, eggplants etc in the fermenting fridge but a tad behind. First batch of seeds arrived yesterday and hoping the second batch are in the post box tomorrow to get started this weekend. I like to plant out tomato and co seedlings that are 50+cm tall so they are advanced and able to cope with cold nights better.

Got a growlight to try and fast track early stage growth this year and a 3x3x2m greenhouse they'll go to once too big for the fermenting fridge. Glad I haven't constructed it yet, the weather tonight and the last week would have tested it. Long term I'm planning a proper glass house...

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #485 on: August 11, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »
Apricot at home is already budding and starting to flower.

C'mon Spring!!!!! We've gone thru a shitload of wood this winter.

Trimmed all the fruit trees over the past few evenings. Wish I knew earlier about summer pruning also...

Winter veg has done sfa other than the green manure crops which look ready to chop up and turn thru the plots.

Defo need to get some seeds started too.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline Himzo

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 8
« Reply #486 on: August 11, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »

H.
Definitely too cold to direct seed summer only plants, you can plant peas, beans, lettuce, asian veg etc  now though. Still a high chance of frost until October here but that's very location dependent. I would normally already have seeds for tomatoes, chillis, eggplants etc in the fermenting fridge but a tad behind. First batch of seeds arrived yesterday and hoping the second batch are in the post box tomorrow to get started this weekend. I like to plant out tomato and co seedlings that are 50+cm tall so they are advanced and able to cope with cold nights better.

Got a growlight to try and fast track early stage growth this year and a 3x3x2m greenhouse they'll go to once too big for the fermenting fridge. Glad I haven't constructed it yet, the weather tonight and the last week would have tested it. Long term I'm planning a proper glass house...

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

This weekend it is.

Planning to put the seed trays on top of the fish tank so should be warm enough. I was just a bit concerned that it was too early.
Frost not really a concern  where I am just soil temperatures. Also have a medium  to long term plan of a glass house, though I think mine will be polycarbonate to allow for flying branches from near by gum trees.

H.
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!”

Offline Scrivenovski

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 41
« Reply #487 on: August 11, 2017, 12:07:41 PM »
Winter veg has done sfa other than the green manure crops which look ready to chop up and turn thru the plots.

Defo need to get some seeds started too.

Dug our green manure through last weekend. Getting some seeds started in trays this weekend.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
« Reply #488 on: August 28, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »
Grow lights are doing a brilliant job at greening up the seedlings. I've had problems in the past with seedlings getting too leggy due to lack of light but it's a catch 22. I need to leave the seeds in the germination chamber long enough ro get as many seeds to germinate as possible at the higher temperature before moving them to a greenhouse where germination at this time of the year is nearly impossible.

Also constructed the greenhouse and setup several shelves ready. Cherry tomato seedlings are already in the greenhouse along with lettuce and spring onion. Regular size tomatoes, chillies and eggplants still to germinate.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline AvAnAle

• Member Rating 0
« Reply #489 on: December 02, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »
All the heirloom tomatoes are doing well with the warm weather we've been having!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
« Reply #490 on: February 13, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »
No pics, but planted the other week: garlic, carrots, beetroot, broccoli, spring onions and raddish with two young 'helpers'.

I only have a small 3.5x3m veg garden area.

The garlic will be my years supply of fresh garlic and the beetroot will be pickled.
Getting one of my garden beds ready for garlic. I think in the past I've been too late getting them in the ground (early April) and tried to compensate with too much nitrogen fertiliser. Ended up with small bulbs about the size of golf balls with no individual cloves. A local is selling garlic bulbs so perfect for replanting.

@Hammer - Went through this thread as I recalled you saying you were self sufficient in garlic. How much do you plant and when? I've got 1m2 set aside but can go more if needed.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 21
« Reply #491 on: February 13, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
No pics, but planted the other week: garlic, carrots, beetroot, broccoli, spring onions and raddish with two young 'helpers'.

The garlic will be my years supply of fresh garlic and the beetroot will be pickled.
Getting one of my garden beds ready for garlic. I think in the past I've been too late getting them in the ground (early April) and tried to compensate with too much nitrogen fertiliser. Ended up with small bulbs about the size of golf balls with no individual cloves. A local is selling garlic bulbs so perfect for replanting.

@Hammer - Went through this thread as I recalled you saying you were self sufficient in garlic. How much do you plant and when? I've got 1m2 set aside but can go more if needed.

I spaced my garlic out probably 1x2m as I had the space. You want to space them 15cm apart in rows. I would always get way more garlic than I used in a year as it would start to sprout in the cupboard. I would keep 8-10 of the biggest and best bulbs and put them aside for planting each year.

Timing wise, I tried to plant in April. Harvest Oct/Nov. remember you want to be able to limit the water towards the end of the growing season to allow the tops to die off

"Life's too short to lager, but not too short to brine"

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
« Reply #492 on: February 13, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »

I spaced my garlic out probably 1x2m as I had the space. You want to space them 15cm apart in rows. I would always get way more garlic than I used in a year as it would start to sprout in the cupboard. I would keep 8-10 of the biggest and best bulbs and put them aside for planting each year.

Timing wise, I tried to plant in April. Harvest Oct/Nov. remember you want to be able to limit the water towards the end of the growing season to allow the tops to die off
I'm planting in wicking beds so winter and spring the beds are never dry and I have no easy way of emptying them. I just built another raised garden bed to display the non wicking version but it's full of lettuce. I don't need another garden bed......

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 21
« Reply #493 on: February 13, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »

I'm planting in wicking beds so winter and spring the beds are never dry and I have no easy way of emptying them. I just built another raised garden bed to display the non wicking version but it's full of lettuce. I don't need another garden bed......

If you have a garlic only bed you could let the water reservoir dry out. Oh don’t want moisture in the bulbs as they can rot
"Life's too short to lager, but not too short to brine"

Offline Himzo

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 8
« Reply #494 on: February 13, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »

Strangely enough, I'm doing the same this year. I had good outcomes with the asparagus in the wicking beds so thought I might try garlic. I will probably prep the bed the tomatoes are in now with some output from the hot composter/peletizer through out march before planting in April.

H.

Offline Himzo

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 8
« Reply #495 on: March 18, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »
Dodgy back so on light duties today, decided to plant the garlic early and harvested some chilies.