collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: In The News  (Read 2849 times)

Offline BeerFingers

• Recovering, Recovering Alcoholic
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • http://youtu.be/IsbHrhmm66I
In The News
« on: February 06, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-02/barley-find-paves-way-for-new-brews/5233130

Barley find paves way for new brews
Updated Sun 2 Feb 2014, 12:25pm AEDT

Tasmanian researchers have discovered a malt barley which they say could lead to the development of a swathe of new, boutique beers.
The Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture has spent more than ten years sifting through thousands of barley varieties, cross-breeding and testing.

But researcher Peter Johnson says his team has now developed one of the finest barleys the state has ever produced.

Mr Johnson is hopeful the malt variety, named Macquarie after the Midland river, will make delicious beer.

"This is the highest level of malt quality we've got from the program so far," Mr Johnson said.

Brewer Will Tatchell says Macquarie could boost the state's craft beer industry.

"We generate the flavour and also the sugar component from 100 per cent malted barley so that's where we're after new varieties," Mr Tatchell said.

About 40 tonnes of the barley will be be sown after the University of Tasmania tenders the rights.

Grain expert David Skipper says local farmers will then be selected to grow it.

He expects the grain to be adopted enthusiastically in the international market.

"Right at the moment there's about 2,500 breweries of craft brewers in the States and that's the biggest number of brewers we've seen since the 1880s so that market alone is massive."

"Beer - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."

Offline BeerFingers

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
Re: In The News
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:09:28 AM »
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/abbott-government-increases-beer-tax-as-alcohol-drinkers-call-for-new-deal/story-fni0fit3-1226817022572

Abbott Government increases beer tax as alcohol drinkers call for new deal

EXCLUSIVE: THE biggest leap in taxes on beer and spirits for three years has sparked calls for a new deal for drinkers.
The Abbott Government has quietly increased the tax on a slab of full-strength beer by 29c and added 11c to a case of light-strength beer.

The changes made under the half-yearly automatic increase in so-called "sin taxes" also sees the tax on a six-pack of beer rise by up to 8c.

The taxman will take an extra cent for every beer served across the bar in a pub or club.

Spirit drinkers are the hardest hit with the tax on a slab of ready-to-drink spirits leaping by 66c and the excise on a 700ml bottle of spirits jumping by 38c.

The automatic excise system was introduced by Bob Hawke's government 30 years ago to avoid the Government having to announce the bad news in the Budget.

The Tax Office said the Federal Government now takes $15.63 in excise on every case of 24 cans of full-strength beer.Carlton & United Breweries said this was one of the highest tax rates on beer in the world and called for a freeze on beer tax to provide relief.

"Australians pay amongst the highest tax for their beer in the world," said CUB corporate affairs director Jeremy Griffith.

"Brewing is a great local industry, we want it to continue to grow and prosper. We ask the Government to give consumers a break and freeze the CPI adjustments."

The Bureau of Statistics says beer consumption has hit a 66-year low while wine drinking has increased.

Spirits makers are also angry, saying they have 18.7 per cent of alcohol sales but are hit with 45.6 per cent of the taxes collected.

The Federal Government takes more than $20 in tax on every bottle of spirits and $35 for a case of 24 cans of ready-to-drink spirits.
The Distilled Spirits Industry Council said there was an urgent need for alcohol tax reform. It said Treasury figures showed government revenue from alcohol excise was down by $580 million between 2007 and 2013 because consumers' drinking habits had shifted toward lower taxed wine.

The council's manager of information and research Stephen Riden said spirit drinkers were "paying a lot more tax for their drinks".

"Taxing all alcohol on the same basis - the amount of alcohol it contains - is common sense tax reform that would boost government revenue," he said.

Beer and spirit excise is based on the Consumer Price Index and adjusted in February and August every year.

Under changes made by the former Rudd government, the tax on cigarettes and tobacco will increase in March and September every year in line with average wages, which is usually a higher measure.

Petrol tax was frozen by the Howard government in 2001.

Luke Sullivan, 33 of Fawkner, said he resented paying more for his beer and he believed taxes were rising to deter binge drinking and under-aged drinkers.

"I'm a hard worker who enjoys a drink." he said. "Why should I have to pay more because of binge drinkers and those who shouldn't be drinking in the first place? I'm not one of them, and it's not my problem."

Additional reporting by Russ Williams

Some of the comments are laughable.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:13:15 AM by BeerFingers »

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
Read the tax article the other day.

Is it any wonder I prefer a brew at home than pay close to $10 for a 'pint' (which is not even a proper pint! 425ml... pfffft!)
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline fdm_2k

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 0
    • Test website
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 11:46:03 AM »
Read the tax article the other day.

Is it any wonder I prefer a brew at home than pay close to $10 for a 'pint' (which is not even a proper pint! 425ml... pfffft!)
It's definitely more incentive for people to turn to homebrew. Well, at least until the retailers cotton-on to a surge in homebrew and adjust prices accordingly (except Nige, of course) :)
So did I read this article correctly that the tax is based primarily on ABV or ABW? If so, those of us that are partial to an IIPA, an American Barleywine or Russian Imperial Stout are going to get hit the hardest? If anything it gives me more momentum to get my setup finished sooner rather than later!

Cheers,
Mr_f.

Offline fdm_2k

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 0
    • Test website
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
Found this while reading through a completely unrelated post:
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/02/05/comment-craft-beer-exists-so-guys-who-don-t-drink-wine-still-get-be-pretentious

"Journalists" like this really grind my gears.

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 55
    • StillDragon
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/02/05/comment-craft-beer-exists-so-guys-who-don-t-drink-wine-still-get-be-pretentious

I reckon he makes some great points. It is a fucking wank to regale people about it.

I specially like this bit...

Wine claims to hint at notes of flavour, craft beers just wacks them on in there like a ten-year old’s birthday party at a pizza joint, when the shy kid was forced to drink a cola full of Hawaiian/pasta/salt/pepper/lemonade and caramel topping.

Not only do you have to hold it down, now you have to talk about it at length. The greatest put down of rock criticism is 'talking about music is like dancing about architecture.'

Well, talking about the taste of a beverage is like looking to Peppa Pig to cure cancer. The lesson is that beer and wine should never be the conversation; they should be something you drink while you have one.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline b0neski

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 7
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »

I reckon he makes some great points. It is a fucking wank to regale people about it.

I specially like this bit...

Wine claims to hint at notes of flavour, craft beers just wacks them on in there like a ten-year old’s birthday party at a pizza joint, when the shy kid was forced to drink a cola full of Hawaiian/pasta/salt/pepper/lemonade and caramel topping.

Not only do you have to hold it down, now you have to talk about it at length. The greatest put down of rock criticism is 'talking about music is like dancing about architecture.'

Well, talking about the taste of a beverage is like looking to Peppa Pig to cure cancer. The lesson is that beer and wine should never be the conversation; they should be something you drink while you have one.

His tweet: "Australian beer article of the year". Douche.
"Son, what is it with you - ignorance or apathy?"
"I don't know and don't care."

Offline fdm_2k

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 0
    • Test website
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
Agreed that I hate pretentious wankers as much as the next person. And agreed that some beers out there (Sorry, Rogue) are just ridiculous with the ingredients they throw in. But, it's pretty narrow-minded to peg all beer drinkers who are merely trying to educate based on someone asking them for an opinion. The amount of times at parties where I'm drinking something different and I get a "what's that beer?" and the conversation heads down the path of them asking "so why does that beer taste different to beer XYZ I'm drinking here?"

I drink a reasonable amount of craft beer but don't go around pushing my tastes and opinions on others - therefore it's a bit rich to label all craft beer drinkers as pretentious.

And I actually disagree with the comments about wine drinkers not having this problem. Wine drinkers have equally as much pretentiousness if you get them going. Is it any different to the reaction you get when you roll up with your goon bag of 'house red' while the person next to you has a Grange, and they facepalm because you say "All wine is basically the same, isn't it?"

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »
So did I read this article correctly that the tax is based primarily on ABV or ABW? If so, those of us that are partial to an IIPA, an American Barleywine or Russian Imperial Stout are going to get hit the hardest? If anything it gives me more momentum to get my setup finished sooner rather than later!

Correct, excise jumps as alcohol increases, noting there are certain levels where the jump kicks in.

It is also higher when produced in vessels less than 45L. (read bottles suffer more excise than a 50L commercial keg)

Rooting Kings has mentioned previously on some of the excise figures and when they kick in at various alc %.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline RootingKings

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • Not a real brewer...
    • Birbecks Brewing Company
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:18 PM »
won't comment at length but the excise is based on ABV of the beer. up to 3%, 3-3.5% and above 3.5% are the relevant rates for beer.

Apparently its Abbott's fault that beer excise (note they have picked on beer in particular for the headlines but it relates to all alcohol subject to excise and so excludes wine and Cider) increased despite the fact this is an automatic increase that doesn't require any intervention from anyone.
 quote - The automatic excise system was introduced by Bob Hawke's government 30 years ago to avoid the Government having to announce the bad news in the Budget.

bottom line is the increase is there as a result of a CPI increase...You can expect to see an article of this nature EVERY February and August without fail.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 55
    • StillDragon
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 06:35:50 AM »
Agreed that I hate pretentious wankers as much as the next person. And agreed that some beers out there (Sorry, Rogue) are just ridiculous with the ingredients they throw in. But, it's pretty narrow-minded to peg all beer drinkers who are merely trying to educate based on someone asking them for an opinion. The amount of times at parties where I'm drinking something different and I get a "what's that beer?" and the conversation heads down the path of them asking "so why does that beer taste different to beer XYZ I'm drinking here?"

I drink a reasonable amount of craft beer but don't go around pushing my tastes and opinions on others - therefore it's a bit rich to label all craft beer drinkers as pretentious.

And I actually disagree with the comments about wine drinkers not having this problem. Wine drinkers have equally as much pretentiousness if you get them going. Is it any different to the reaction you get when you roll up with your goon bag of 'house red' while the person next to you has a Grange, and they facepalm because you say "All wine is basically the same, isn't it?"

Hahahahaha do you see it? :clap: :08:
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline BeerFingers

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »
Little Creatures Bright Ale

https://littlecreatures.com.au/beers

We have recently made a few subtle changes to our Bright Ale, and although it might take a little while to hit shelves near you, it will start circulating in the next few weeks...

From what ive heard, B Saaz is out and Liberty, Crystal and Summer is in.
Also, apparently malt profile seems different, so maybe not so subtle...

Offline Jack of all biers

• Member Rating 2
  • Meister von keinem
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 08:36:46 PM »
This article in the Australian today sparked off the finding that James Squire is releasing this beer on tap only for the GABS2018, but that there was an earlier report in 2016 on ABC's Catalyst about the discovery of this yeast from a 1797 ship wreck off of Tasmania.  It is a really interesting story and worth watching.  Even some yeast cultivation and home brewing here in Adelaide with the yeast way before James Squire got hold of it.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4481385.htm

https://www.jamessquire.com.au/craft-beer/the-wreck-preservation-ale/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:38:49 PM by Jack of all biers »