collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: Beer  (Read 9373 times)

Offline RootingKings

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • Not a real brewer...
    • Birbecks Brewing Company
Beer
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
SABC members...

Here's a thought while I'm in a more lucid mode. I have a stack of hops. kilos of them and its too much to move.

Would there be any interest in a commercial release of a SABC beer? I can do it through my biz, but the aim would be to only cover costs. You guys design the recipe within certain parameters (ie using up the hops I have), we'll get the grain bill sorted, organise a brew day. There are some practical cost issues to work through some of which are confidential so I can't post but can share with your 'controlling mind'. A bit like crowd sourcing but my aim is to get rid of hops and in doing so do something cool.

it could be a collaboration, it could be a comp. your call.

A couple of points to consider

kegs or bottles? the former is easier to do but harder to move. I can certainly move a few of them. the latter is harder work and more cost but easier to shift.
special label? - I can definitely line this up but it would cost a little bit depending on direction. Could be done circa $500 for a new label including govt requirements.
if bottles what size?

depending on what is brewed expect cost of a carton is between 40 and 50 but say an IIPA would be more because of the excise. Cost to brew a 6% beer a bit over 2000l circa $10k for 270 odd cartons (assuming to 330ml). depending on numbers of members could be a reasonable price each.

would you want to use it to raise money for the club? raise money for a chosen charity or just to share at cost?

Hops to use:

Stella 15kg
Cascade 2 x 5kg
Topaz 2x 1kg
EKG 1 x 1kg

I also have Galaxy 5kg and Simcoe 5kg which we could use if desired. I had set it aside for another brewer but can use it if required.

We can order more hops BUT I want the above gone or mostly gone.

I'd love to do a continuously hopped India Pale Lager, but I'm not a member ;) Raven's BlackIIPA had me thinking of one of those and it seems there were some great Black IIPA's made. But enough  :ecomcity: from me. over to you.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Offline RootingKings

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • Not a real brewer...
Re: Beer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
And I'll add that if anyone is interested in working out what it takes to get a beer to market (if you have an interest in starting a brewing business) you can 'shadow' me and be involved in the process. Can have a few people do this, but not everyone.

Offline vortex

• One day my brewery will be finished.
  • Member Rating 60
  • Beer me!
    • brewblog
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
Wow... Thank you RK - I'm certain this is something members will be interested in!

Do you have a ball-park date in mind for the actual brew day?
Brewing blog.
Bite off more than you can chew; then chew like hell!

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »
I would be interested and happy to go with the flow and follow your experience.

The IP Lager sounds good but I guess only if it can be sold?

If it was called a collaboration and we asked Jade about having an open type night there somehow ish? Might move a keg or two I guess? Might also expose the club a bit more.

As for the kegs/bottles you would know better than most of us what will work?

Might be something for the club to take a vote on. If it agrees then the committee can sort out the details with you and go from there.

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 19
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »
I'm keen. Cool idea. Great benefit for being a member of sabc! My vote is bottles. Easier to split and move.

Just an idea, next year sabc membership could include a carton of the beer as one of the benefits
"Life's too short to lager, but not too short to brine"

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
Bottles definately easier for us as members to move thru friends and family. More labour though!

You mention 2000L, I presume this would be brewed locally (possibly big shed?).

If we bottled it would be many hands make light work come bottling?

Love the concept.

Keen.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline gravey

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:06 AM »
Very cool idea.  Could you split some into bottles and some into kegs?  I think raising money for the club would be ideal, that way we could look at doing more things like this in the future.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 131
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
I'm not a member (yet) but would happily purchase a carton if money went back in to the club.

Offline Chillbilly

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 20
  • PBMTASH
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »
I freakin love stella ( ella ) hops!

Offline Chillbilly

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 20
  • PBMTASH
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
Logistically,  how many cartons do we get out of 2000L?  about 200?

Offline BeerFingers

• Recovering, Recovering Alcoholic
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • http://youtu.be/IsbHrhmm66I
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:05:34 AM »
Can I throw an Idea out there?

Can it be a "Brew Adelaide" beer?

"Brewed by the people, for the people"?  :13:

Can all profits (after breaking even and everyone's been paid) be paid as a donation to Nige, towards his shop and the BA Website?
I have nothing bias with SABC, It's all the same people as here, but it was Nige and this forum where SABC has it's roots, and personally, with an opportunity such as this, I would like to give something back to Nige.
Be it more traffic\business to his shop, or more members here. I think SABC will benefit as well with this scenario.

I would Suggest 330ml bottles so it can be shifted quicker.
Is a partygyle an option at all?
A 6% IPA sounds good or a Pale ale that's more inviting on the average punters palette.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Awesome Idea RK, thanks! Pretty sure it's a goer already
"Beer - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
Very cool idea.  Could you split some into bottles and some into kegs?  I think raising money for the club would be ideal, that way we could look at doing more things like this in the future.

I would have thought a split would be suitable. Keg some, bottle the rest.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline RootingKings

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • Not a real brewer...
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
It would be brewed locally and yes I would look to use Big Shed provided they have availability and happy to have me in again.

cartons in the batch would be circa 250. can easily put some to keg as well.

Timing. well its up to you guys and what we can do getting into the brewery.

Not everyone will be able to attend either brew day or bottling day but some can. more for bottling day than brew day. that is not to say people can't come in and have a look. But do note that those doing the brewing are likely to be short on time and probably a little terse at times.

I'm open to it being a BA beer instead of SABC. The alternative is in labelling we recognise 'sponsorship' of Nige and BA (without cost Nige) as recognition of the support he's shown to the club and the local community.

partigyle is not particularly practical on this scale with the set up we have.

Bottling practicalities...its being bottled by hand. a full days work (and I mean full) could see 150 cartons done. I'd recommend doing as many cartons as possible in a day and leaving the rest to keg. I would also recommend having two/three shifts of bottlers.

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 19
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »
Can I throw an Idea out there?

Can it be a "Brew Adelaide" beer?

"Brewed by the people, for the people"?  :13:

Can all profits (after breaking even and everyone's been paid) be paid as a donation to Nige, towards his shop and the BA Website?
I have nothing bias with SABC, It's all the same people as here, but it was Nige and this forum where SABC has it's roots, and personally, with an opportunity such as this, I would like to give something back to Nige.
Be it more traffic\business to his shop, or more members here. I think SABC will benefit as well with this scenario.

I would Suggest 330ml bottles so it can be shifted quicker.
Is a partygyle an option at all?
A 6% IPA sounds good or a Pale ale that's more inviting on the average punters palette.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Awesome Idea RK, thanks! Pretty sure it's a goer already

My 2c's on this....

RK was making the offer to the South Australian Beer Club to which I support.

Yes Nige does a fantastic job with this forum, site and services he provides. He is however running a business which most if not all of us support. I have nothing but praise for Nige. We give back to Brew Adelaide by supporting Nige's business and buying from him. I dont understand the need to provide any profits from this to his business.

I think making it a SABC brew is a good idea. Cartons are sold at a small profit and to provide some funds to the SABC bank accounts. The SABC committee can then look at membership benefits for the coming financial year and one benefit may be a subsidized SABC carton of beer. This has the potential to be an annual event with a different beer brewed??

If Nige would like to charge SABC for use of his forum, then that is a separate matter.

Non members can obviously buy the cartons supporting SABC.
"Life's too short to lager, but not too short to brine"

Offline Schulkingal

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 30
  • I might be crazy, but at least I have each other
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »
Bottling practicalities...its being bottled by hand. a full days work (and I mean full) could see 150 cartons done. I'd recommend doing as many cartons as possible in a day and leaving the rest to keg. I would also recommend having two/three shifts of bottlers.
Shifts sounds like a good idea. I bottled about 300 cases of sparkling wine (crown seal), just me and a mate, took us 12 hrs and I think Ive dislocated my shoulder by the end of the process. At least it feels like it.

Offline BeerFingers

• Recovering, Recovering Alcoholic
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • http://youtu.be/IsbHrhmm66I
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 11:55:49 AM »
My 2c's on this....

RK was making the offer to the South Australian Beer Club to which I support.

Yes Nige does a fantastic job with this forum, site and services he provides. He is however running a business which most if not all of us support. I have nothing but praise for Nige. We give back to Brew Adelaide by supporting Nige's business and buying from him. I dont understand the need to provide any profits from this to his business.

I think making it a SABC brew is a good idea. Cartons are sold at a small profit and to provide some funds to the SABC bank accounts. The SABC committee can then look at membership benefits for the coming financial year and one benefit may be a subsidized SABC carton of beer. This has the potential to be an annual event with a different beer brewed??

If Nige would like to charge SABC for use of his forum, then that is a separate matter.

Non members can obviously buy the cartons supporting SABC.

It was an idea\suggestion to take an opportunity to give back to Nige for his work in providing a place for us all, including SABC to collaborate and form the great brewing community that we currently have, I don't think there'd be an SABC or the current community of brewers without him and him being the (sometimes overly) generous man that he is.
Giving a donation to Nige to put back into the Site and Forum I think would benefit the entire community and not just SABC.

I was certainly not trying to take anything away from SABC. And while I'm not a SABC member (mainly due to my distance and lack of free time) I do support the need for SABC to exist.

Anyway, like I said, just an idea\suggestion, not trying to derail or detract from RK's most generous offer.

As you were.

BF
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:58:36 AM by BeerFingers »
"Beer - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."

Offline RootingKings

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • Not a real brewer...
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 01:18:29 PM »
Any beer recipe/style ideas?

In terms of the commercial reality of selling it...as soon as the alcohol heads above 6% it becomes more difficult as the cost is too high (excise). bearing in mind it can be a fundraiser and have limited 'profit' margin the alc can go higher than that. I'd suggest it not go higher than 6% regardless though. 6.5% at a stretch.

It can be weird and wonderful. The beer and brewer conference beer I did had pepper and cardamon and was a continuously hopped brew. turned out quite well and maintained saleability. BUT its harder to push over the line in some sense.

There is the option of barrel ageing some, preferably a clean ageing process. need barrels though.

BUT there are no limits on what style we can brew other than using my hops :D. don't have to use them all, just a chunk of them.

Black IPA
India Pale Lager
India Amber lager/ale
robust porter
belgian IPA
new world wheat beer
new world pils
APA
AAA
ABA
India Rye Ale
Low alcohol brew of any of the above.

I'm sure there are a few people that have recipes on all of the above that could be used as a start point.

could do a poll, what style, what yeast, what grain, what colour etc and use the highest polling to come up with a start point.

:1rij:

Offline jimmyfozzers

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 16
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
Super idea. Keen to help out with brew and/or bottling days.

Is the plan to distribute these beers among members to sell themselves, or through the usual retail channels? Or both?
My shank is tiny, but seems to get the job done :-p

Online Edi Amin

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »
I imagine that while individual members might be able to encourage friends and family to buy the beer the actual transaction will need to be conducted by someone with a liquor license.
My BAC varies but I am always full of shit.

Offline jimmyfozzers

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 16
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
Ah yeah of course. Damn laws...
My shank is tiny, but seems to get the job done :-p