collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: Beer  (Read 9057 times)

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
Re: Beer
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
I reckon it needs to be sessionable, and approachable for the (unenlightened) masses that we want to sell it to.

Amber, IPA, APA (ish) gets my vote.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline NigeP62

• Friendly Online Brewstore Owner
  • Retailer
  • Member Rating 81
    • Online Brew Store
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »
Thanks for the sentiments Andy but I don't really need handouts just yet. 
This looks like a great idea RK but before everyone gets over excited about the end result perhaps it would be good to clarify who is stumping up the $10K cost? Does this need to come upfront or is there a time period over which it needs to be paid.
I'd be happy to get involved with the project in some way.

Offline vortex

• One day my brewery will be finished.
  • Member Rating 60
  • Beer me!
    • brewblog
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
I reckon it needs to be sessionable, and approachable for the (unenlightened) masses that we want to sell it to.

With you on this 100%.
Brewing blog.
Bite off more than you can chew; then chew like hell!

Offline wally

• ThunderBrew Mash Monkey
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 37
  • MashMonkey
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »
Just thinking out aloud, but would there be any advantage to making approximately 100 fresh wort kits instead and not have all the hassles with bottling and selling 2000 litres of beer?

Offline NigeP62

• Retailer
  • Member Rating 81
    • Online Brew Store
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »

Just thinking out aloud, but would there be any advantage to making approximately 100 fresh wort kits instead and not have all the hassles with bottling and selling 2000 litres of beer?
That then narrows your market to only brewers where finished product can be available to anyone.
Also make for one looong brewday.

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »

+1 for this.

Personally an APA or an IPA, aiming for 5-5.5%.

If APA, IBUs 30-35. If IPA IBUs 50 - 60. Bitter enough to know its an IPA, but not over the top.

Would love to have good hop flavour and aroma.
"Life's too short to lager, but not too short to brine"

Offline Chillbilly

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 19
  • PBMTASH
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
I vote Amber or APA, lets leave 'American' out of the description.  If we can use Australian hops all the better.

I`ll personally probably buy 2 cartons. It should be reasonably easy to offload a few others.

If we could get a keg on at the Wheaty that would be super sweet also.
I`m not sure of the keg sale into pubs thing, but if we can get a tap in a bar it may also help Jarad out
as an 'in' in places he may have trouble breaking thru the Coopers or Lion Nathan Cartels.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:55:00 PM by Chillbilly »

Offline vortex

• One day my brewery will be finished.
  • Member Rating 60
  • Beer me!
    • brewblog
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »
AmeriStralian Amber Ale.
Brewing blog.
Bite off more than you can chew; then chew like hell!

Offline RootingKings

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • Not a real brewer...
    • Birbecks Brewing Company
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 02:14:53 PM »
Thanks for the sentiments Andy but I don't really need handouts just yet. 
This looks like a great idea RK but before everyone gets over excited about the end result perhaps it would be good to clarify who is stumping up the $10K cost? Does this need to come upfront or is there a time period over which it needs to be paid.
I'd be happy to get involved with the project in some way.

it would be progressive in terms of costs but would happen in relatively short timeframe. There are options. 1. people preorder and prepay for what they want from the end, and or contribute to costs up front. recovery for sales then get pumped back to SABC  2. I stump up cash and recover as its sold (including presales). 3. you guys auction off who gets to attend brew day (2-3 max) to cover some costs

My preference is for there to be a large number of presale and prepay cartons to cover most of the costs. remainder can be covered by me in anticipation of sales by keg or retail sales. can work out finer details with the club.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Offline FishersFirst

• Member Rating 52
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 02:52:21 PM »
My 2c:

- Longneck 500ml bottles instead of 330ml. Circa 150 cartons instead of 200 cartons.
This reduces bottling time. Bottling cost just for bottles, labels, caps. Man hours supplied by SABC members for nothing other than pure enjoyment.

- 4 x kegs to be sold at Wheaty etc, don't know how exactly this would work but maybe some portion of the proceeds to SABC for fundraising. I don't see this as a must though. The club can look after itself.

Recipe:

SABC 'FiftyNiner'
5.9% Black India Pale Lager
Heaps of Stella, Topaz and Cascade FTW
 :1rij:

Great idea!

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
500ml bottles means a proper metric carton! Win there.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline Stef

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 2
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
As a non SABC member, i reckon its a great idea, but i think the financial realities need to be put before the desire of us amateur brewers who it probably wont affect too much.

What happens if it goes to open market and doesn't sell, or doesn't sell very well?
What happens if it gets infected/incidents in bottling/brewing or whatever?
Who is going to put in the time involved at multiple stages, and will they be paid? (label design, labeling bottles, distribution, marketing, any associated paperwork/legal requirements)

I'd suggest bottling it and having a set pre-sold limit in order to minimize risk exposure. IE, the idea wont proceed unless 80% of the ~200 cartons are paid for before the brew day. Which would generally limit people purchasing to BA members and associated (general public would be unlikely to pay for beer that doesn't exist yet...)

I guess it comes down to whether it is a financial venture, or whether it is a 'club event' scenario. If its a financial venture, the beer needs to be marketable, fees should be obviously and upfront, someone needs to stump up the capital and stand to make the profit etc. If a club event, the brewers should make whatever they like, fund it internally and package it however suits them.

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »
As a non SABC member, i reckon its a great idea, but i think the financial realities need to be put before the desire of us amateur brewers who it probably wont affect too much.

What happens if it goes to open market and doesn't sell, or doesn't sell very well?
Who is going to put in the time involved at multiple stages, and will they be paid? (label design, labeling bottles, distribution, marketing, any associated paperwork/legal requirements)

I'd suggest bottling it and having a set pre-sold limit in order to minimize risk exposure. IE, the idea wont proceed unless 80% of the ~200 cartons are paid for before the brew day. Which would generally limit people purchasing to BA members and associated (general public would be unlikely to pay for beer that doesn't exist yet...)

I guess it comes down to whether it is a financial venture, or whether it is a 'club event' scenario. If its a financial venture, the beer needs to be marketable, fees should be obviously and upfront, someone needs to stump up the capital and stand to make the profit etc. If a club event, the brewers should make whatever they like, fund it internally and package it however suits them.

Agreed.

As I stated earlier, the idea in principle should go to a vote as there is a significant amount of money involved. Assuming that comes back favourably then when more details become available and possibly one or two options then vote on which one the club wants. (and not to say the committee are the only ones to have input, keep this up here, they can more collate it a bit, sorta...)

Something like that anyway!

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
I suggest the sabc committee will carefully make a decision, weighing up all pros, cons and liabilities.
"Life's too short to lager, but not too short to brine"

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 32
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
Okay, now here's a thought worth considering.
Been making an English bitter style of beer for a while now with a hint of Cascade hops in it. A proven winner at homebrewing level. So, the malt bill is mainly English Pale (Maris Otter) with some Munich 1, dark crystal and a bit of chocolate. Hops are EKG for bittering with EKG and a hint of Cascade for finishing. Deal number two. Bottling, which is easier to sell and I provide the labels for the bottles for FREE - hey this is labels here! this is what I do for a living. Is there some sort of self promotion here? Absolutely, at personal and business level but this beer has broad appeal and the labels are completely free!
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline Nev

• Hardcore Cuber...
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 38
  • Lazy brewer extraordinaire!
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:14 PM »
^^^ base for MoM's Mildura Mild right there!

Farkin great beer and favourite amongst my mates and family

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Oh, so they have internet on computers now...

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 56
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 01:20:05 AM »
Firstly, I'm amazed that it's taken this long for someone to start a thread called "beer".

My thoughts on the practical side of things, keg enough to recover costs from the kegged beers & pre sales if possible, whatever is left can be sold as profits for the club, Nige, or shifty bastards like myself who are wondering about risks & potential returns from financing a large part of this as well as the potential legal & tax implications of doing so.

I'm sure it will amaze everyone that I like the idea of 2000L of a 10 minute stout.
I have nothing interesting to add here.

Offline FishersFirst

• Member Rating 52
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 06:53:17 AM »

I have to agree with the general sentiment here.

The club committee love the idea of this, however, club members alone aren't going to buy 2000L of beer.

Let's assume 150 cartons of 500ml longnecks are produced and several kegs.
If each SABC member bought a carton, there would still be 120cartons left..
My question back to RK would be, how confident would you be in selling the remainder of the beer and would you suggest a larger proportion of kegs vs bottles for example to help shift it?

Offline NigeP62

• Retailer
  • Member Rating 81
    • Online Brew Store
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »
I have to agree with the general sentiment here.

The club committee love the idea of this, however, club members alone aren't going to buy 2000L of beer.

Let's assume 150 cartons of 500ml longnecks are produced and several kegs.
If each SABC member bought a carton, there would still be 120cartons left..
My question back to RK would be, how confident would you be in selling the remainder of the beer and would you suggest a larger proportion of kegs vs bottles for example to help shift it?
I think the idea would be for club members/supporters to shift 4 or 5 cartons each through friends and family.
Depending on margin added to each carton if 75% or so of these were pre sold then much of the cost is covered before production.
There are the other risks as mentioned previously, bad batch etc.. These would be low but nonetheless there.
As RK is doing this as a non profit for Birbeck's it's not really for him to do all the sales legwork as well as the brewing/legal/excise side of things.

Offline Chillbilly

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 19
  • PBMTASH
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »
Nice one Labels on the labels!

I also like the 500mL bottle idea,  its more 'crafty' and a bit special, makes whatever price the carton ends up being, although considerably higher than a red suitcase,  still a worthwhile purchase for the 'special' beer.

Makes us look 'the business'