collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: Beer  (Read 9699 times)

Offline gravey

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
Re: Beer
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
Deal number two. Bottling, which is easier to sell and I provide the labels for the bottles for FREE - hey this is labels here! this is what I do for a living. Is there some sort of self promotion here? Absolutely, at personal and business level but this beer has broad appeal and the labels are completely free!

Sarah could possibly help out with the design of the label.

As for style, I think the idea of a survey is probably the way to go.  Personally the thought of another APA/IPA on the shelf bores me to tears, but if it's a true collab then everyone needs to have a say

Happy to fire up Survey Monkey again when the committee are ready to go

Online FishersFirst

• Member Rating 52
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2014, 10:16:19 AM »
I have to agree with the general sentiment here.

The club committee love the idea of this, however, club members alone aren't going to buy 2000L of beer.

Let's assume 150 cartons of 500ml longnecks are produced and several kegs.
If each SABC member bought a carton, there would still be 120cartons left..
My question back to RK would be, how confident would you be in selling the remainder of the beer and would you suggest a larger proportion of kegs vs bottles for example to help shift it?
I think the idea would be for club members/supporters to shift 4 or 5 cartons each through friends and family.
Depending on margin added to each carton if 75% or so of these were pre sold then much of the cost is covered before production.
There are the other risks as mentioned previously, bad batch etc.. These would be low but nonetheless there.
As RK is doing this as a non profit for Birbeck's it's not really for him to do all the sales legwork as well as the brewing/legal/excise side of things.

Fair points, Nige.

We're looking to tee up a meeting next week to discuss this in more detail.
It's an exciting prospect none the less.

Offline RootingKings

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • Not a real brewer...
    • Birbecks Brewing Company
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
I have to agree with the general sentiment here.

The club committee love the idea of this, however, club members alone aren't going to buy 2000L of beer.

Let's assume 150 cartons of 500ml longnecks are produced and several kegs.
If each SABC member bought a carton, there would still be 120cartons left..
My question back to RK would be, how confident would you be in selling the remainder of the beer and would you suggest a larger proportion of kegs vs bottles for example to help shift it?
I think the idea would be for club members/supporters to shift 4 or 5 cartons each through friends and family.
Depending on margin added to each carton if 75% or so of these were pre sold then much of the cost is covered before production.
There are the other risks as mentioned previously, bad batch etc.. These would be low but nonetheless there.
As RK is doing this as a non profit for Birbeck's it's not really for him to do all the sales legwork as well as the brewing/legal/excise side of things.

great offer Labels, thanks.

depending on beer, I would expect I could move 20-30 cartons in quick order, possible 5-10 kegs. I could push the carton order interstate and could move another 20-30.

But Nige is right, best idea for me is for members to move 'their' beer to their friends/family.

Not a suggestion, not saying this is what needs to happen and definitely noting that its still a bit of cash. 40 members, 10k cost, $250 each. If you want 500ml, say 280 cartons (12x 500), thats 7 cartons for each member to share/fundraise with. that also allows for 10 kegs which I can sell at full rate, depending on the beer would cover $2k of the cost, could raise $1k for the club or use to contribute towards the cost. So that $250 now becomes  200 or 175 for the 7 cartons. I could also shift the cartons at full rate through retail channels but its not going to be huge margin on it to cuts costs unless it was at retail. wholesale won't return much but it would be something. take out 40 cartosn fromt he total and its 6 cartons a member. sales to BA members not SABC members reduce it further.

Don't freak out about the reality of a big brew and having to move it and how to do that etc. maybe not everyone wants to do it. maybe only a few do and maybe because of that its not viable for those that do want to do it.

if it goes to market and doesn't sell well...well that usually ends up being the retailers problem. BUT think about the beer first. Then if we do this, and if we generate interest through our own networks there will be interest before the beer is made. Facebook, Twitter talking to people generally about what is happening. Be excited about it. there are plenty of examples of beer on the market that moves just because someone is excited about it. As brewers you might taste it and think its rubbish but others taste it and think its great because someone is telling them its great. I could use contacts to get this into some media. This could involve the ABC, Advertiser and Beer and Brewer.

if it gets infected...well that is what my insurance is for ;)

label design, unless someone is a designer and wants to provide their time to do it, get an idea and I will arrange my designer to do it.

larger proportion of kegs to bottles - can be done but you might have noticed I don't have a lot of taps around town because venue managers don't like me with a couple of exceptions. I own a suit and dare to wear it. Kegs are hard to move unless you are in venue managers ears all the time. 20-25 kegs would be my max. that would be half the brew.

labelling bottles and bottling - its a club thing. club members do it. if there aren't people that want to vounteer to get their beer done without getting paid for it it is a sad state of affairs. label goes on before the bottle is filled. two people labelling, two rinsing bottles, one filling, one capping and putting to the carton. 6 people bottling.

marketing, distribution - again, its a club thing, if members don't want to share their beer with friends and family that's fine. It probably won't work. but many hands make light work. I can move a bit quickly but not all of it. But I'm not doing this to move beer.

I want to get rid of my hops. The best way to get rid of hops in these quantities is to make beer. making beer as a collective spreads cost and makes it interesting and exciting. its also interesting.

paperwork and legal requirements are all mine. I'll deal with it. The offer remains, if anyone wants to shadow me and see what it takes to get a beer to market it can be done.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
I'm happy to cough up the coin upfront and am confident I could shift 7 cases of beer through friends and family. $250, $500. Also happy to be involved and would love to shadow you and see what it takes.

That is assuming that I am not excluded due to not being a member of SABC?

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »
I'm happy to cough up the coin upfront and am confident I could shift 7 cases of beer through friends and family. $250, $500. Also happy to be involved and would love to shadow you and see what it takes.

That is assuming that I am not excluded due to not being a member of SABC?
Good excuse to join smurto, after all you have already been to a meeting without being a member... :93:

Is the brewing/bottling at all possible to be done on a weekend? If so I (and I assume others) am more likely to be able to make it.

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • Member Rating 45
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 12:03:42 PM »
SABC Committee and RK are planning a meeting after work next week to refine the details and we can then report back to all members on direction forward.

Keep the suggestions/discussion coming though!
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline Dan

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 51
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »
Is there any way that we can fill cornys? I assume it's not all that cost effective due to the 48L (or whatever it is) thing with excise.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
Is there any way that we can fill cornys? I assume it's not all that cost effective due to the 48L (or whatever it is) thing with excise.

You magnificent bastard!

Although I do recall the excise on a corny is ridiculous compared to a standard 48-50L keg.

Offline Dan

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 51
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »

You magnificent bastard!

Although I do recall the excise on a corny is ridiculous compared to a standard 48-50L keg.

Shouldn't be any different to bottles from what I know. You'd have to pay the same amount of excise as you would for the equivalent amount of bottles, but you'd get to pour it from a tap at home...

Would be an easy way to move ~2.5 cartons worth per member who has a keg setup...

Just need to know from RK if this is feasible.

Offline RootingKings

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 40
  • Not a real brewer...
    • Birbecks Brewing Company
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »
Excise - filling a corny versus a bottle there is no difference. the rate is 45.44 at the moment I think.

filling commercial keg versus corny, the rate is 32.60 vs 45.44. so 19l the excise on a 5% beer is circa $33 in the corny versus $23.85ish.

So if you want to swap out cartons to sell to fill a corny its feasible. will be some tech details on ensuring we fill and note level being filled of the kegs. I would def want to chek with the brewery that they are happy for it to happen and with the ATO around record keeping to make veryone happy.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 20
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2014, 02:42:57 PM »
it would be cool with the marketing and excitement up front. Then SABC could have a launch at the wheatie and have a keg on tap (wheaty permitting). Perhaps article in Beer and Brewer etc etc

Perhaps SABC can consider this with membership options for next year. Good time for those on the fringe of the club to join IMO
"Life's too short to lager, but not too short to brine"

Online labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 33
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »
Sarah could possibly help out with the design of the label.

As for style, I think the idea of a survey is probably the way to go.  Personally the thought of another APA/IPA on the shelf bores me to tears, but if it's a true collab then everyone needs to have a say

Happy to fire up Survey Monkey again when the committee are ready to go

This is a good deal, with Gravey's special half helping with design for free and me providing labels for free, it will help with costs and provide more funds to the club.
Jarad has garnered a lot of interest here and it seems everybody wants not just good beer but to see a financially successful outcome. DrSmurto has indicated he is willing to help shift a fair bit of beer through family & friends and so have others.
Selling through family & friends is a clever marketing tool used by companies such as Tupperware and Avon since forever and it works well if you have a good product - one reason why it should not be a radical beer but one with broad appeal (IMHO).
This is a great idea, I have offered what I can and hope everybody involved can have some input whether or not you're in a position to assist financially or otherwise.
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline rotten

• BEER ME
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 17
  • Brew Monster
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »
Not a SABC member for logistics reasons but labels has a good point, as well as others from a marketing and practical point of view. It needs to sell, regardless, know your market, and make concessions on that. It may not be what you want, but brew what will sell. Its not your baby, its beer that needs to appeal to (insert market here), could be friends etc but they still need to like it, and want to buy it. .
Labels's labels offer sounds good to me as well to keep costs down, with graveys oh's help of course.

My 2c

sent from my emtying glass

Ranagas.... Make no sense....

correction:
Ranga's make no sense ;)

"Life's too short to lager"

Offline gadjitsteve

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 33
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 12:37:17 AM »
If it tastes anything like coopers pale ale I could move 50 cartons.
If it's an IPA i can move five tops. Point proven.

Jared, top idea mate. I'm happy to help out in anyway possible. Moving stock, pasting labels or marketing on facebook and the like.

Offline Leprechaun

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 12
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2014, 12:45:34 AM »
We talking about a shit piss lager ooPS

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Offline Leprechaun

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 12
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »
On a more serious note gentlemen i will take one corny and one carton if i can help..

Sent from...

Offline gadjitsteve

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 33
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2014, 01:23:48 AM »
We talking about a shit piss lager ooPS

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Mate if Jared is brewng it with the help of some lot off here it will be a gooden.
Bring it on I say.

Offline rotten

• BEER ME
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 17
  • Brew Monster
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
Ignore my last drunk post. I know everything when pissed.

sent from my emtying glass

Ranagas.... Make no sense....

correction:
Ranga's make no sense ;)

"Life's too short to lager"

Offline Jules

• Member Rating 7
  • Propeller Head
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »
I thought it made perfect sense. Clearly you should drink more...
Life is hard.  It's even harder when you're stupid.

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 57
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
If it tastes anything like coopers pale ale I could move 50 cartons.
If it's an IPA i can move five tops. Point proven.

Jared, top idea mate. I'm happy to help out in anyway possible. Moving stock, pasting labels or marketing on facebook and the like.

If it tastes like coopers pale, wouldn't people just buy coopers pale? The idea is to get rid of hops, that's not going to happen with a coopers clone.
I have nothing interesting to add here.