collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: SABC AGM Wheaty outback 2pm Saturday July 18  (Read 2473 times)

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • Member Rating 44
  • BrettiusInfectiusMaximus
    • Left Barrel Brewing
SABC AGM Wheaty outback 2pm Saturday July 18
« on: July 17, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
Reminder folks for the AGM tomorrow at the Wheaty 2pm.

Also our presenter is Alison Painter who has written the book on the history of SA brewing.

Should be a top arvo with quality beers.

Nominations for committee positions still open too if interested in getting involved in the club.

Cheers!

Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 125
Re: SABC AGM Wheaty outback 2pm Saturday July 18
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:17:54 PM »
Reminder folks for the AGM tomorrow at the Wheaty 2pm.

Also our presenter is Alison Painter who has written the book on the history of SA brewing.

Should be a top arvo with quality beers.

Nominations for committee positions still open too if interested in getting involved in the club.

Cheers!
How do those not in attendance vote?

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:18:34 PM »
You can nominate, but need to be in attendance to cast a vote.
"Life's too short to lager, but not too short to brine"

Offline Leprechaun

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
Great AGM. Fantastic presentation from Alison and John, very very informative, many thanks to whomever organised it. Oh, and if you haven't got a copy of the book yet, grab one, its really good. Also congrats to the old and newly elected committee members.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Offline Himzo

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 6
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
Does this mean memberships need to be renewed?
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!”

Offline vortex

• One day my brewery will be finished.
  • Member Rating 57
  • Beer me!
    • brewblog
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »
Does this mean memberships need to be renewed?

You know it!
Brewing blog.
Bite off more than you can chew; then chew like hell!

Online Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 42
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »

No proxy voting? I had a number of reasons for not renewing my membership last year, several of which I don't remember. If was keeping a list, I'd add this to it.
I have nothing interesting to add here.

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • Member Rating 44
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »

No proxy voting? I had a number of reasons for not renewing my membership last year, several of which I don't remember. If was keeping a list, I'd add this to it.

Being interstate?

Now you're back, get back on the club!
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com

Online Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 42
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »
That was one reason, yes. The rest of this is going to sound like a big whinge.

A lack of communication from the committee was another. I didn't actually know who was on the committee. Yes, I could've asked, but I would've thought that a member of any club should be able to find out who's on the committee without having to ask. There was never any way of knowing what had happened at a meeting if I missed one. I believe that there was a committee member added without any communication to members. I can't remember what else annoyed me, but I was annoyed enough that I wasn't going to renew my membership even if I wasn't moving interstate.

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned any of these things, or if they've been addressed. But from my recollection, these were the main reasons that I didn't renew my membership last year.

Offline NigeP62

• Friendly Online Brewstore Owner
  • Retailer
  • Member Rating 78
    • Online Brew Store
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »

Interestingly the AGM Agenda specifically mentions Absentee Votes.

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »

Interestingly the AGM Agenda specifically mentions Absentee Votes.

To cast an absentee vote, there would have to be multiple candidates nominated for a single role PRIOR to the AGM. As this was not the case, Absentee Votes were not required.

Offline hammer

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »

A lack of communication from the committee was another. I didn't actually know who was on the committee. Yes, I could've asked, but I would've thought that a member of any club should be able to find out who's on the committee without having to ask. There was never any way of knowing what had happened at a meeting if I missed one. I believe that there was a committee member added without any communication to members. I can't remember what else annoyed me, but I was annoyed enough that I wasn't going to renew my membership even if I wasn't moving interstate.

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned any of these things, or if they've been addressed. But from my recollection, these were the main reasons that I didn't renew my membership last year.

Lack of communication was definitely an issue in the first year of the club when you were a member. There was no web site, no newsletter and the only communication was via this forum. In the second year of the club, the website was developed and newsletters were sent out. It was decided that this would be the communication mechanism to be utilised by the club and to not rely on forum posts.

The web site still needs more work to disseminate the information you mentioned. Good spot on not knowing who the current committee is - this information can easily be added.

Posting information on each monthly meeting to the web site would be a great addition. However, this would prove time consuming and would require someone with the passion to do so. Important events will always be posted to the web site and summaries of major events will aim to be provided.

Whether you choose to be a part of the club or not is up to you. What I can say is that the SABC has definitely improved over the last year and will continue to do so.

Online FishersFirst

• Member Rating 45
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »

Lack of communication was definitely an issue in the first year of the club when you were a member. There was no web site, no newsletter and the only communication was via this forum. In the second year of the club, the website was developed and newsletters were sent out. It was decided that this would be the communication mechanism to be utilised by the club and to not rely on forum posts.

The web site still needs more work to disseminate the information you mentioned. Good spot on not knowing who the current committee is - this information can easily be added.

Posting information on each monthly meeting to the web site would be a great addition. However, this would prove time consuming and would require someone with the passion to do so. Important events will always be posted to the web site and summaries of major events will aim to be provided.

Whether you choose to be a part of the club or not is up to you. What I can say is that the SABC has definitely improved over the last year and will continue to do so.

+1

Communication issues have been a thing of the past. The club has improved this amongst other things greatly over the past year.

Offline vortex

• One day my brewery will be finished.
  • Member Rating 57
  • Beer me!
    • brewblog
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »
I'm now off the committee (my choice) but when I was on it, I was the one that took care of most of the communications.

In the 2013/14 club year I was oblivious to the missing communication because I was at basically all the meetings and all the events. We improved that drastically for the 2014/15 year which was where the newsletter came around and the improvements to the website (it was actually around since day dot in 2013 - but admittedly very underutilised).

Communicating the content of the monthly members meetings was always tough. Personally I'd get involved in the meeting itself and often forget to take notes. And then it has to be typed up for posting to the website. But then if we put too much info up on the website will attendance suffer?

In this past year there was one major hole in the communications and that was the website to facebook link. Website to Twitter was working - every item posted to the website also posted to Twitter - but not to Facebook, it never did. I've suggested that to the new committee as one thing they can take on to improve for the future. All the facebook posts on the SABC page were me seeing something of interest and sharing it - while it's OK and probably important to share this stuff (and I hope the new committee continue this) this could be improved upon with the addition of meeting details etc.

Some of the communication stuff did slip in the past 4/5 months a little due to personal issues around home and at work which meant I needed to step back a little from club business. I think I've only made it to a single meeting this year unfortunately as I was basically a single parent to 2 children and 1 adult who had a busted foot.

You feedback is appreciated though Hatchy, I'm certain the new committee will pick up and improve on the position we've left the club in - there is a good mix of experience there on not only SABC but other committees, with some new blood around which should help drive events in the future. A post is due to go onto the website very shortly detailing the new committee members - access was handed over to the new committee yesterday so keep an eye out - or better yet sign up and provide the committee with an email address for the newsletter :)
Brewing blog.
Bite off more than you can chew; then chew like hell!

Offline cronessa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 16
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 08:19:55 PM »
I can honestly say that I've really enjoyed being part of the club for the past 6 months. The website has had everything I've needed to know on it. I love the opportunity to taste a range of homebrews and have robust discussions about brewing with some great folks.

From being on committees for other clubs I know that they rely on members providing feedback (both positive and negative) to improve things. It's not always apparent what members are thinking and what they want improved.

Online Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 42
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 11:39:11 PM »

From being on committees for other clubs I know that they rely on members providing feedback (both positive and negative) to improve things. It's not always apparent what members are thinking and what they want improved.

I was thinking as I typed my previous post that I was having a whinge for the sake of having a whinge. I definitely should've mentioned these things as I thought of them rather than trying to remember what gave me the shits 18 months after it gave me the shits.

I'm probably unlikely to rejoin the club for the moment. I'm starting uni next week, so I suspect spare time will be a problem for the next 6 years. It is good to hear that the club is evolving though, which shouldn't be a surprise given that it's a very new club.

Offline Jules

• Member Rating 7
  • Propeller Head
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
There is no doubt that communications is one area that the committee can improve on.  James has done a fantastic job getting things to where they are now.  Yes, it was perhaps a slow start, but everyone who has been and is currently on the committee is obviously there on a volunteer basis, and as such, family and work come first.  When these two factors intervene more than usual, extra-curricular stuff like the club see a noticeable effect.  With that in mind, a priority of mine is to make the process of communicating with members as streamlined and easy as possible, hopefully leading to an increase in both quality and quantity of communication.

There is some nuts and bolts work to do on the website in the very near future, which will hopefully have little impact on accessibility, and once that is complete we will be looking at the bigger picture to see how we can improve things.

As always, all suggestions are welcome.  Just email the club at sabrewclub@gmail.com

Cheers
Jules
Life is hard.  It's even harder when you're stupid.

Offline raven19

• (un)Civil Engin(b)eer
  • Member Rating 44
    • Left Barrel Brewing
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:03 AM »
And the new committee is a solid group of 9 members so plenty of hands there to take on the work to continue growing the club.

Members need to let the club know if there are issues. Communication is a 2 way street.
Going Pro...
www.leftbarrel.com