collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: Spring Comp?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Leprechaun

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 11
Re: Spring Comp?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 07:09:52 PM »
Thi post should be in the "things that make me sad" thread:

I opened one of my Oktoberfests today, totally flat. 0 carbonation. I guess I'm out of the comp on this, such a shame as it's a cracker.
vortex is right, carbonation is not worth many points. Also, there's eleven days to go. If you open a couple, dose em with a little sugar, give em a big shake, then put em on a heater pad (inside a cupboard or box) they might be ok

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Online Hopmonkey

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 0
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
If the beers, for judging, are being takin in 20min before judging, will there be enough consistency in chill and stability for judging?

Is there a way to have them all dropped off a few days prior and allow them to settle and chill properly before the judging?

There would seem to be sizeable advantage to those who....
- drive ... less shaken bottles
- in-vehicle fridges ... keep much colder during their journey, colder on arrival
- those who live close to the Wheaty ... see above
- those who do not work that day and have the ability to take their beers directly from home to Wheaty, bypassing work

Just putting this out there so that every member/brewer has the same chances of scoring well.

Thoughts?
Hopmonkey

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:10:02 AM by FishersFirst »

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 34
    • StillDragon
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 04:53:20 AM »
I'd like to send down some StillDragon minor prizes for the comp, just a couple of little things if that would be suitable? Could one of the committee send me a pm or email to punkinATstilldragonDOTcom with some postal details if you are interested?
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Online FishersFirst

• Member Rating 50
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »
If the beers, for judging, are being takin in 20min before judging, will there be enough consistency in chill and stability for judging?

Is there a way to have them all dropped off a few days prior and allow them to settle and chill properly before the judging?

- in-vehicle fridges ... keep much colder during their journey, colder on arrival
- those who do not work that day and have the ability to take their beers directly from home to Wheaty, bypassing work

Just putting this out there so that every member/brewer has the same chances of scoring well.

Thoughts?
Hopmonkey

Good points there HM.
As the format is a bit less conventional than before, we're obviously relying on entrants to take care in bringing in their entries on the day. We will try our utmost to have the beers tasted at consistent temperatures. Ambient temperature being cooler atm will help.

I'm personally quite happy to take entries dropped off to me either in the city or at home prior to the time. PM me if you would like to do this.
I will be bringing a few entries myself so will take care in storage and transport.
I'm sure other drop off points will be made available.

Online FishersFirst

• Member Rating 50
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 09:26:59 AM »
I'd like to send down some StillDragon minor prizes for the comp, just a couple of little things if that would be suitable? Could one of the committee send me a pm or email to punkinATstilldragonDOTcom with some postal details if you are interested?

PM sent

Offline Jules

• Member Rating 7
  • Propeller Head
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 10:05:12 AM »

Thoughts?
Hopmonkey
As Clint said, all very good points.  Unfortunately, we can't use the Wheaty as a general drop off point.  However, as per the website article and email that all members should have received, anyone who wishes to drop off entries early or who can't make it on the day, please either email the club or contact myself on the number that is on the entry form/rules.  Obviously, PM here is fine too.  If you can get them to us by Monday, we can get them to the Wheaty with a couple of days spare to rest.

Cheers
Jules
Life is hard.  It's even harder when you're stupid.

Offline Mudskipper

• Member Rating 0
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 03:43:35 PM »

Thoughts?
Hopmonkey
Hi greg
Back home on the 19th you can droparound then and will keep them cool and take ti wheaty

Mudskipper

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk