collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: Raised garden beds - now selling  (Read 3226 times)

Offline cronessa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
Re: Raised garden beds - now selling
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 04:38:33 PM »
Sweet! Will give it a listen for sure.

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 27
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
Have you ever thought about using a plastic/wood substitute made from post consumer plastic waste and selling them flat-pack. It would make them lighter and shippable and maybe open up some new markets for you.
Would like to continue my '69 Buick restoration IF this effing State can ever get out of first gear, I might earn enough money to continue!

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 126
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »
Have you ever thought about using a plastic/wood substitute made from post consumer plastic waste and selling them flat-pack. It would make them lighter and shippable and maybe open up some new markets for you.

It's something I have given a lot of thought to over the course of the past 2-3 years.

You can already buy raised garden beds flat packed at the big hardware/garden centres. You can also buy a ready made wicking garden bed called a vegepod, also available at these centres. So I'm not sure I see a big market in adding something slightly different even with the potential recycled angle. The amount of effort and money required to get a product to market is well beyond me and I am not willing to take that risk based on my current financial situation. What I'm focusing on is empowering people to grow their own vegies, many who have tried and failed using in-ground methods, those who haven't tried, those with limited space. What I want to be able to do is supply these kits to allow people to convert their existing garden beds to wicking beds or to convert the pre-built raised garden beds I mentioned to wicking beds. Value adding rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and compete with other products.

It's a hobby business, the massive increase in sales I'd need to make it viable as a full time business is not something I can envision currently although I am constantly thinking of ways to expand my services which is why I am doing the horticulture course at tafe.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 126
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2017, 04:44:34 PM »
http://www.adelaidehillsvegiegardens.com.au/

I've redone the website so if anyone would like to have a quick look and provide some feedback, I'd appreciate it.

I'm launching the next phase of the business at the Birdwood Farm Day on Sunday the 21st of May. It will be the first time I have a marquee setup with my new crates which have my logo on them. The radio show proved a success and I have received a lot more interest and enquiries. The last 2 months I have been flat out.

However, I exhausted the supply of high quality crates I was getting and after months of trying to find something as good and being sent some very questionable looking samples I decided the only way to get a reliable source of high quality crates was to get them built for me. This way I get them built to my specs so they are a better design than the ones I had previously which were recycled onion crates. They cost more but they'll last longer and hopefully appeal to a wider audience.

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 17
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »
Two comments on the website, are these more water efficient? If so make a big deal of it. It will save you money, makes it better than others etc etc.

You say delivery is $25 but maybe put where you deliver to? Even just a "we deliver from Aldinga to Gawler" or whatever it is. If I saw you were in Mt Torrens I might think you only deliver in the hills.

My 2c.

Looks good though! Best of luck with it all!

Online FishersFirst

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 50
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
I like your business model more here, Mark. My impression of the original setup was that this seemed extremely labour intensive for you, especially if things didn't go to plan. This posed problems with the scalability of the business. Supplying DIY seems far more sensible.
Have you included a detailed setup and maintenance instruction guide for new customers including FAQs etc?

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 126
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2017, 10:41:14 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.

Two comments on the website, are these more water efficient? If so make a big deal of it. It will save you money, makes it better than others etc etc.

You say delivery is $25 but maybe put where you deliver to? Even just a "we deliver from Aldinga to Gawler" or whatever it is. If I saw you were in Mt Torrens I might think you only deliver in the hills.

My 2c.

Looks good though! Best of luck with it all!

Had a few comments about delivery and the lack of info. I need to sit down with a map and come up with some delivery zones with prices to make it more transparent and upfront.

These are no more water efficient than the previous batch but wicking beds are a lot more water efficient than regular garden beds so yes, I should highlight that more.

I like your business model more here, Mark. My impression of the original setup was that this seemed extremely labour intensive for you, especially if things didn't go to plan. This posed problems with the scalability of the business. Supplying DIY seems far more sensible.
Have you included a detailed setup and maintenance instruction guide for new customers including FAQs etc?

Installation was a hiding to nothing from a business point of view. It was never going to be sustainable even as a hobby business. I think I can now see a way to gradually make a more substantial business using this model.

Yes, kits come with very detailed instructions with loads of pictures in a step by step type of guide. I also have a maintenance guide to get people started.

I've also made more changes to the design based on some more trials at home with different liner materials. I'm still researching a few ideas in that space.

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 34
    • StillDragon
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2017, 03:38:24 AM »
If i was doing it i would try to make the logo smaller and to the side or as a thin banner at the top and then have a photo at the top of every page (different photo on each page) of the product. The logo filling your screen on the home page and then the blurb and then finally getting to the bottom to see thumbnails...

You could intersperse a photo between the paragraphs here. But definitely shrink the logo.

Also last page should be a contact page if you can put more pages in, that's where people look for that stuff.

Looks good, i'm sure you'll fill it up with time and experience.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 126
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2017, 11:54:33 AM »
Made a few changes to it, especially the size of the main logo. Any better? I'm limited to 3 pages and for now I am happy with that.

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 34
    • StillDragon
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »
Looks the same to me, maybe i have to delete my cookies. I'll have another go in the morning.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 126
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »
New crates have arrived and I am very impressed with how they look. Very solid too which is very important.

Website has been updated which I'm hoping makes it easier to find the required information - http://www.adelaidehillsvegiegardens.com.au

Hopefully there is a good turnout this Sunday at Birdwood Farm Day in the Mount Crawford forest to get more people aware of what I am doing.