collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: Grains - pre milled or not?  (Read 905 times)

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
Grains - pre milled or not?
« on: November 02, 2017, 02:07:53 PM »
I dont have a grain mill and most times will need to order in my grains so am wandering, if i ordered a couple of brews worth at a time to help postage, if getting them milled and vac sealing them when i get them would be ok or would they deteriorate too much before I used them? Or would i be better off saving for a mill, buying unmilled grains and milling to order? Or just pay a bit more in postage in the long run and just order single batches when i need them?

Obviously my own mill would be better but trying not to spend all the money i don't have in one go.

Offline Dez

• Krausen Fancier
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 11
  • Fancies Krausens
Re: Grains - pre milled or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:46:45 PM »
Pre milled will be fine. That's how I bought my grain for years before buying a mill.
Use it within a month or two and you wont have any issues.
Also fancies pellicles.

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »
cheers.

knowing me ill probably buy a mill before i really need to anyway but if i dont have to i can put it off for a while

Offline vortex

• One day my brewery will be finished.
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 60
  • Beer me!
    • brewblog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 06:47:01 PM »
Having a mill means you can buy grain by the sack which is cheaper per KG, and mill it as you need it.
Brewing blog.
Bite off more than you can chew; then chew like hell!

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 55
    • StillDragon
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:30:33 AM »
Option 3. Make friends with someone close to you who owns a mill and use theirs. This allows you to buy grain by the bag which is a very large saving, especially if you get on the bulk buys. Buy them a six pack now and then.

Option 4. Find one or even two people who live close to you but don't have a mill. Go halves/thirds in the mill setup, make it portable and either use it at one persons place or swap it around. This would also allow you to share bags of grain which would ensure the cost savings without having to shell out the whole cost yourself. Also allowing you to by specialty grains like crystal and munich by the bag.

If you are a member of the brew club this should be easier to organise.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »
Ideally I'd buy in bulk. But current circumstances means I'll need to limit my spending to 1-3 batches at a time until the pressure eases and i can get a sack or 2. At least now I am confident that i can order a batch or 3 vac seal what i dont need to use straight away and I should be sweet for a bit until i square away some funds for a mill.

Yes this is more expensive in the long run but I dont have hundreds  (really mean thousands) to set up the way I'd like. This way is/should still be cheaper than megaswill so thats all i need for now while i build my kit

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 04:43:52 PM »
So to bring an old thread to life.... i bought a mill.

While im only about to do my third ag brew i struggle to justify $20+ in postage for <$40 grain. Yeast n hops should be pretty cheap to buy as required.

Im getting a masterclass in biab next week from a local bloke who's also about to open a distillery. I'll get some pointers on setting up the mill while he's here.

I was mucking around on beersmith and forgot to change everything back to the original recipe which led me to a terrible beer after ordering some wrong ingredients,  when trying to seek advice i realised my mistake but had everything milled and blended so brewed it anyway to chalk up experience in the processes. Thought i could handle drinking it but it eventually got the better of me and was a tipper.

Next brew i had trouble with efficiency but it tasted ok. Old man gave it an 8/10 which I thought was generous 6 or 7 at best.

Onwards and upwards

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Mark D Pirate

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
  • Just another brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 04:56:50 PM »
Dare say all the brewers here have tipped a batch , I have recently and not even ashamed to admit it .
Thing about mistakes is they often become lifelong lessons and I don't ever want to feed a batch to the lawn again so I'll remember my clusterfucks .

Now you have a mill you can join in on bulk buys and even get the half or 1/5 splits for spec malts without busting the bank or holding malt for 2 years
Life begins at 40 ....IBUs

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 64
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 06:15:12 PM »
Dare say all the brewers here have tipped a batch , I have recently and not even ashamed to admit it .

I don't remember tipping a batch, I've definitely drunk some less than ideal beer at times though.
I have nothing interesting to add here.

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »
I should clarify my tipping. Haven't tipped the whole batch yet simply because I haven't had time to deal with the empties. There is still just shy of half a carton in the fridge. Just doing it as i can be bothered.

Supposed to be a pale ale looks like an amber ale tastes kinda like a bad stout

Full disclosure im consuming 2 tonight, only because I want to save the cold good stuff until next week

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 06:52:31 PM »
Mill gap is about a credit card in thickness, ballpark. Adjust from there.

Jump on the bulk buy, base malt buy a full bag then get a few of the smaller splits. be hard to do it cheaper. (I and reckon others would be happy to hold onto it for a while till you come to town. For a fee could probably disguise it so it doesn't look like brewing stuff for the other half! Hahaha!)

Stick to the same grain bill (If not recipe) for a few brews, adjust the mill to see how you go with efficiency. Very broad terms but the more grain the lower efficiency. But also dont stress so much about the number more that you are close to it each time. Once you know it you can then calculate for it.

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 34
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
I should clarify my tipping. Haven't tipped the whole batch yet simply because I haven't had time to deal with the empties. There is still just shy of half a carton in the fridge. Just doing it as i can be bothered.

Supposed to be a pale ale looks like an amber ale tastes kinda like a bad stout

Full disclosure im consuming 2 tonight, only because I want to save the cold good stuff until next week

You're just going through a steep learning curve, we all do, none of us start off as experts, we all have to start from somewhere and that somewhere is usually 'base one'

The brewers that are left on this forum are the ones that persisted. The ones that are not, it's generally because they have given up so don't do that.
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »

The brewers that are left on this forum are the ones that persisted. The ones that are not, it's generally because they have given up so don't do that.

No chance of giving up. Just wanna get it right and be proud to share it.

Offline cronessa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 21
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »
Is the beer really that "bad"? Is it cloying or totally out of balance or infected?

I've recently made the mistake of following an extract recipe when I  brewed AG which resulted in adding a lot less base malt than I should have. It wasn't to style but I still drank it.

If it's not infected give yourself a pat on the back and get the recipe right next time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »

Is the beer really that "bad"? Is it cloying or totally out of balance or infected?

If it's not infected give yourself a pat on the back and get the recipe right next time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well it had an additional 3kg of amber malt that had no place being there. That was on top of the 6.5kg of malt that was supposed to be there. So I'd say its not balanced   hahaha

Of my career total of about 20 batches only 1 infection, the first 15ish being double batches consisting of 2 tins coopers pale ale etc and 2kg white sugar the last one of these was infected due to poor instructions- had been doing it the same all the time just got lucky - and the last half dozen were 4 kits n bits and 2 all grain biab.

My last batch was ok just poor efficiency which i hope to fix this sunday - i actually think i have my equipment profile in beersmith set up wrong which is messing up my brewday - as well as plug any holes in my process that i didnt know about.

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 02:21:21 PM »
Brewday went well yesterday. 29L of beery goodness no-chilling ready to pitch tomorrow or the next day.

Offline Dez

• Krausen Fancier
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 11
  • Fancies Krausens
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 07:54:50 AM »
Filth!

Jokes. Good to hear all went well.
Also fancies pellicles.