collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: Coopers Malts  (Read 641 times)

Offline Beerlust

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 2
Coopers Malts
« on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:01 PM »
http://www.australiancraftbeer.org.au/focus-balanced-beer-heritage-barley-coopers-maltings/

1/3 of production is estimated to be used by the brewery, with the remaining being made available to craft breweries & distributors.

Us home brewers will be able to purchase them at some stage.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Awesome beer is just around the corner. I'll meet you there!

Offline Jack of all biers

• Member Rating 2
  • Meister von keinem
Re: Coopers Malts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
Well, as I'm sure you are all aware.  They are here now.
coopers.com.au/whats-on/news/2017/11/30/coopers-opens-$65-million-malting-plant

Some of the stats on the Coopers Pale malt, Ale and Schooner Ale malts, with downloadable PDFs at; www.ellersliehop.com.au/Ellerslie%20Hop%20Australia_MAIN%20MALT%20VARIETIES.html

Places selling them that I have found are; (no affiliations and I'm sure this list will grow)
www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/products/malts/coopers-premium-ale-malt
shop.unethical operator.com.au/ingredients/bulk-ingredients.html

Offline cronessa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 21
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Anyone brewed with this malt yet? Would love to hear the results of tastings.

Offline GlycolGlen

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

Pirate ruined some trying to brew.

Offline Mark D Pirate

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
  • Just another brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
Good extraction efficiency, nice grainy / bread crust flavour .
Got second attempt in ferment now with wyeast Bavarian lager bittered with hallertau .
Unlike BB there seems to be more consistency in kernel size and no foreign matter ( sticks , prickles , ball bearings ect ) .
Doubt it'll be ready by this months meeting but happy to share samples with interested locals
Life begins at 40 ....IBUs

Offline cronessa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 21
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
I'm thinking of doing something really simple. 95% Cooper's base, 5% crystal,  35IBU, challenger or EKG late, Nottingham yeast and shoot for 4.5% alcohol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 34
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 07:31:20 PM »
I'm whacking a brew down Saturday with it and adding a small amount of light crystal and malted wheat. Bittering with Super Pride, no late additions.

50L batch, one fermenter with recultured Coopers yeast stepped up on a stir plate and one with US05 not stepped up.
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline 4heckssake

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 1
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:18:42 PM »
I've done 3 brews with it now but none are ready to drink. First one will be kegged in a coupla days.

The grain tastes very nice to me though. multi grain toasted bread with some muesli sweetness.

Offline FishersFirst

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 54
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
So here's my review of the Coopers premium ale malt after my first batch with it.

Firstly, the bag its in is a bit shyte, it doesn't look like it would take much for it to tear as there's only a thin layer of plastic wedged between the inner and outer paper bag. I reckon Coopers need to sort that.

The grain kernels themselves are huge, 2.8mm is the minimum width I'm lead to believe, as opposed to JW at 2.2mm for example.
The grain tasted wonderful, very fresh  with a nice crunch and a light biscuit sweetness.
It crushed beautifully on my mill at credit card gap setting.

The mash efficiency was really good. I got 5% higher mash efficiency compared with a simpilar sized batch with my usual Gladfields AA malt.
It seemed quite proteinous in the mash but I did a protein rest and the mash wort ran clear with a 90 min mash.

I did a 100% Coopers malt batch with Pacific Jade to bitter and EKG finishing and whirlpool hops, OG 1.048, fermented with Danstar London ESB. It finished at 1.013.

The picture below is the sample drawn just prior to kegging. The yeast is a low flocculating one, so its a bit hazy, I'll give it some gelatine in the keg.

The colour is pretty light. Looks basically like it will be spot on for a CPA, which is in assume what it's designed for.
The malt profile is very clean, light sweetness and biscuit, but not hugely characterful. It's bordering on a lager malt. Overall it's made a nice beer and I reckon it's a really top notch base malt for the money ($55/25kg).
If you wanted a bit more malt character you'd probably look to beef it up a bit with Munich or Vienna for example.

I'll maybe add a few more thoughts after it's been in the keg and cleared a bit more in a few weeks.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:32:23 PM by FishersFirst »

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 55
    • StillDragon
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 03:07:32 PM »
Thank you. Even though i'm in haitus, that's great information and i can see the foort you've put into the post.

Have a few +1's.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline cronessa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 21
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
Great write up Fishers. Cheers.

Offline Jack of all biers

• Member Rating 2
  • Meister von keinem
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 04:53:22 PM »
Good one.  I just picked up a bag today myself.  Concur with the fragility of the bag.  A small hole opened up, just from being picked up by the retailer, near the stitching at the top and allowed me to grab a few grains and taste.  Also concur on the biscuit flavour, with mellow maltiness.  It was very nice, but not as malty as I expected (I don't know why I expected that as likely the Schooner malt will be more malty). 

Good write up thanks and I plan to do a similar 100% Coopers ale to test it in the next few weeks.  Looking forward to hear how yours tastes once settled in the keg.

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 34
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 10:30:52 PM »
Yes, I'm in to it.
Grain size is nice and even, I like it compared to other local malts which have some small seeds which don't crush. The malt also is bright and fresh. It smelt fresh and the colour is bright and lively.

My beers today were Coopers base malt, 5% malted wheat, 5% light crystal - 50L. One fermenter with Coopers recultured on a stir plate, one fermenter on US05

My brewing daugther made a sort of Dr S golden ale with 4Kg Coopers, 1Kg Vienna and 100g Cararoma.

All beers had a 60min addition of hops only which in this case was Superpride. This should let the malt shine through without being drowned out with hop flavours. Also usimg Superpride to keep with the Aussie beer theme.

Coopers yeast formed a krausen within two hours, still waiting on US05

Just another Adelaide brewer