collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: Grain mill opinions  (Read 1513 times)

Offline ben_sa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 5
  • Now with 3v!
Grain mill opinions
« on: March 10, 2018, 12:15:40 PM »
Hi Brains Trust...

So i (while mildly intoxicated) purchased a sack of grain in the latest bulk buy even though i dont own a mill 😀

After your thoughts on the attached. $105 delivered... sadly my drill blew up some time ago so i will be using it by hand for the interim until i buy something decent...

Your opinions welcome

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer

-Direk

Offline Mark D Pirate

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
  • Just another brewer
Re: Grain mill opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:47:20 PM »
I have the 3 roller malt muncher , goes well and has a decent crush but do slightly regret not buying the version with fluted rollers .
Not sure what life expectancy you'll get out of it
Life begins at 40 ....IBUs

Offline 4heckssake

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Hi Brains Trust...

So i (while mildly intoxicated) purchased a sack of grain in the latest bulk buy even though i dont own a mill

After your thoughts on the attached. $105 delivered... sadly my drill blew up some time ago so i will be using it by hand for the interim until i buy something decent...

Your opinions welcome
Hi Ben,
It looks like a reasonable deal  to me. I recently went down a similar path...bought a bag of grain, borrowed a mill from a friendly member from here, then bought mill and motor. I mucked around with a drill for a short time but it was too fast. You can get a better crush with the hand crank I suspect. Get a motor later. There is a member selling some excess gear on here. He had 3 motors for sale. Sorry I can’t operate via Tapatalk well enough to link it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GlycolGlen

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 10:44:57 PM »
That looks like a bargain for that money, i recently got the fluted roller very happy with it. Crushes perfectly.

Offline ben_sa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 5
  • Now with 3v!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 02:48:49 AM »
Thanks 4heckssake and Glen,

I knew buying a bag of grain would give me the nudge I needed haha...

I justify it as 25kg of grain for $33 + $105 for mill = 138
25 Kg of grain at the only place available = 102.50

therefore mill has cost 35.50
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer

-Direk

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 55
    • StillDragon
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 04:11:08 AM »
That's if you write the whole cost off to your first bag. If you place it over two bags then ii didn't cost anything.
Ten bags and you are a very long way in front.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline Canuk

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 0
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 06:44:24 AM »
I have something very similar. Family member got it fkr me for christmas about 3 years ago. Still going strong with the use of a cordless drill. To give you an idea of use, i brew about every 4-6 weeks and have not had a problem with it.

Are there better mills out there ? Yes. For that price? Probably not.

If i was going to go out and buy a new mill i would prob get a fluted one though. I havent looked up price, so cant speak of a compairison value for money. Really depends on your use and budget.

Offline ben_sa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 5
  • Now with 3v!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 08:19:40 AM »
That's if you write the whole cost off to your first bag. If you place it over two bags then ii didn't cost anything.

My thoughts exactly... ill basically be making money ;)
PunkinIsWise

-Direk

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 64
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 06:53:58 PM »

Having spent summer learning more than I ever wanted to know about depreciation, I'm with Punkin. I'd use either the straight line method or the units of production method to depreciate a mill. Starting to go off topic I know, and not in a very interesting direction - I don't know if anyone actually depreciates home brewing equipment.
I have nothing interesting to add here.

Offline Malted

• Beer Nomad
  • Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 90
  • Learning; one glass at a time
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:59:13 PM »

Having spent summer learning more than I ever wanted to know about depreciation, I'm with Punkin. I'd use either the straight line method or the units of production method to depreciate a mill. Starting to go off topic I know, and not in a very interesting direction - I don't know if anyone actually depreciates home brewing equipment.
Mills and the like depreciate themselves through fair wear and tear, though many don't attribute an annual fiscal value to it; more so a replacement value at point of purchase. Furthermore, the average punter would not be claiming brewing gear on tax.
If it ain't half off, it ain't on sale!

Offline punkin

• Honorary Local
  • Member Rating 55
    • StillDragon
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 05:01:33 AM »
Although depreciation is used in tax it is also used in Accounting mate.
http://www.stilldragon.com.au/ for all your distilling related needs.

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 64
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »

Mills and the like depreciate themselves through fair wear and tear, though many don't attribute an annual fiscal value to it; more so a replacement value at point of purchase. Furthermore, the average punter would not be claiming brewing gear on tax.

As Punkin said, I was talking about depreciation from an accounting point of view, not from a tax point of view. If any home brewers have a depreciation schedule for brewing equipment, I'd be concerned about how much spare time they've got on their hands.

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 34
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
In the end a mill will save you money. It has little to do with depreciation and more to do with cost recovery.

Knowing the cost of the mill and the savings made by buying 25Kg sacks, it's really easy to work out how many sacks you need to buy to recover the cost of the mill.

Trust accountants to make it as complicated as they possibly can.
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 64
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 07:32:59 PM »
In the end a mill will save you money. It has little to do with depreciation and more to do with cost recovery.

Knowing the cost of the mill and the savings made by buying 25Kg sacks, it's really easy to work out how many sacks you need to buy to recover the cost of the mill.

This is getting more into management accounting than financial accounting - it isn't complicated, it can be calculated in a pretty simple spreadsheet. I'm not sure why people think that accounting is complicated.

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 34
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »

This is getting more into management accounting than financial accounting - it isn't complicated, it can be calculated in a pretty simple spreadsheet. I'm not sure why people think that accounting is complicated.
So, when are going to drop into Sweet Amber Cafe's new brewery/bar in Regency Park Hatchy? Maybe tomorrow? or next Thursday perhaps ;-)
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 64
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 09:14:31 PM »

So, when are going to drop into Sweet Amber Cafe's new brewery/bar in Regency Park Hatchy? Maybe tomorrow? or next Thursday perhaps ;-)

Tapatalk isn't letting me post for some reason, and you didn't reply to my SMS, so I'm on the computer now. I'm not at work tomorrow which rules that out. Next Thursday is a possibility, but I've got a group assignment that I may be working on that night. I'll be able to tell you all about intangible assets once the group assignment is done.

Offline ben_sa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 5
  • Now with 3v!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 06:30:14 AM »

Haha Thanks Labels.

I've bitten the bullet, It just doesn't make sense NOT to.

-Direk

Offline Mark D Pirate

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
  • Just another brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 06:51:57 AM »
Being able to make up and mill a recipe while strike water is heating has satisfaction as well .
Few sacks of base malts and few kg of your prefered spec malts and provided you have hops and yeast on hand you can sneak in a brew whenever the urge takes you
Life begins at 40 ....IBUs

Offline ben_sa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 5
  • Now with 3v!
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 03:28:06 PM »
Working 12 hour night shifts, all I need to do is work out a way to bring some brew gear in to work and brew while I am here ;-)

-Direk

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
Working 12 hour night shifts, all I need to do is work out a way to bring some brew gear in to work and brew while I am here ;-)
Hearing ya. I roll up to my 12hr shifts be they day or night and only have brewing on my mind. I just need to get my act together and buy some sacks of grain. Only brewed on sunday and been wanting to do another one since, (patience grasshopper) do need to free up the fermenter and fridge first though. probably should get another fermenter and modify the fridge to fit 2

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk