collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: Got bulk ingredients... time for a brew day  (Read 187 times)

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
Got bulk ingredients... time for a brew day
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »
Yep finally got the finances sorted to buy some bulk ingredients so will have some brew days coming up.

Will have to jump on the next bulk buy was a tad late for this one.

Cant wait to get into it now. No looking back

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 63
  • Non practicing brewer.
Re: Got bulk ingredients... time for a brew day
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
You can always stock up on hops from the states by yourself. I'm not sure if there's much saving to be had by bulk buying with others. If you organise it as poorly as what I did about 7 years ago then you're definitely better off going it alone.

Edit, I found the reason that I cringe when I think about hop bulk buys. http://brewadelaide.com/forum/index.php?topic=68.0
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:01:46 PM by Hatchy »
I have nothing interesting to add here.

Offline solidute16

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
How much do you save that way in comparison to buying local?

As it is im happy enough to pay for hops locally. Just because I'd have to get things sent to me at $20-30 for postage each brew bulk buying grains is a huge saving. hops and yeast is only around $7-8 postage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 63
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 03:14:32 PM »
Hops direct sell a pound of cascade 10c cheaper than unethical operator sell 100g for. Even once you factor in the currency conversion and shipping, it's going to be less than half price.

There are other places to look at for hops, I only looked at hops direct because that's who I ordered from for the stupidly large bulk buy.

Online GlycolGlen

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
I buy direct from Yakima Valley in the US

8 &1/2 kilos is the sweet spot with $90 delivery.

Fast, efficient and fresh, around $80 a kilo, i have bought from Bintani but they supplied 2016 stock at 2017 prices.

Offline beachy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 8
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:17:09 PM »
The best way to buy hops depends on how many you will use in 12 mths or so. I brew 20L batches and would never purchase in less than 100g lots. In SA BB is the only current retailer I would trust to have the turnover to have good quality fresh hops.

I have purchased 3.5lbs from Yakima Valley a couple of times but that was more to get hops super fresh and also try new varieties not yet available in Australia. I tried Cashmere, Denali and BRU1 two years before they were available here. Unless you are going to use a large amount of hops quickly like Glen you won't really save much.

Other retailers that supply good hops in Australia are Brewman ( good hops and also stock the new LuplinN2 product which is excellent ) and BeerCo who sell in 100g, 250g and 1kg increments if 100g is not enough.

Offline ben_sa

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 5
  • Now with 3v!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
Hops direct sell a pound of cascade 10c cheaper than unethical operator sell 100g for. Even once you factor in the currency conversion and shipping, it's going to be less than half price.

There are other places to look at for hops, I only looked at hops direct because that's who I ordered from for the stupidly large bulk buy.

Was that the Chinese bulk buy 😂
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer

-Direk

Offline Hatchy

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 63
  • Non practicing brewer.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:01:20 PM »

Was that the Chinese bulk buy 😂

Hops direct is in the states. The Chinese bulk buy was slightly before my time. Read my link from above if you want to know which buy it was, assuming you have plenty of spare time available.