collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: Flow Control Advice  (Read 195 times)

Online MAH

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 14
Flow Control Advice
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:20:57 AM »
Hi, I'm after some advice of flow control; whether to bother and if so at the tap or inline.

I drink a wide range of beers from very lightly carbonated milds and bitters to pilsners and Alt. On my old kegging system this wasn't a problem as I had 3 lines dedicated to English ales and 2 lines to higher carbonated beers.

Now I've recently bought a Keg King 3 tap kegerator and still want to be able to drink different beers at different levels of carbonation, but with only 3 taps I don't want to have dedicated lines and want to be able to quickly and easily swap from low carb to high carb or vice versa.

I have a the gas side all sorted with secondary regulators and manifolds, but for the beer line I'm looking for the simplest, most repeatable solution. Original idea was to use John Guest fittings and have a variety of line lengths to compensate for the different pressure drops required. However as I've been putting all the parts together, I think this might be a pain end up a pain in the arse.

So if I went for flow control instead, should I use inline flow control or buy taps with flow control? Does anyone have experience with flow control? What brands would you recommend?

I already have great taps, Ventmatics which are the original forward sealing taps home brewers bought.

Cheers
Mark

Offline labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 34
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
Re: Flow Control Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:18:33 PM »
I never had much luck with flow controls and ended up removing them from my taps, YMMV. I think that gas control is the best option -  though watch the JG fittings, they are not super reliable and can leak.

Being the person I am, I don't have gas connected to my kegs all the time and just open the door and top up the kegs with gas when they need it. Probably won't change now as it needs another gas tank to achieve this.
Just another Adelaide brewer

Offline FishersFirst

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 54
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:06:49 AM »
I have the same issue, ideally also you'd like an English bitter warmer as well of course for example.
What I've tended to do is carbonate the keg to the level I want, then turn off the gas to each keg till I want to pour a beer. I'll switch on the manifold to the keg I want at serving pressure from here.
Let us know if you come up with better method.

Offline Mark D Pirate

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 8
  • Just another brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »
Check valves ? They reduce line pressure downstream by 2 psi .
Would be an ugly solution but just add or remove extra valve to suit then liquid lines never change
Life begins at 40 ....IBUs

Offline NigeP62

• Friendly Online Brewstore Owner
  • Retailer
  • Member Rating 83
    • Online Brew Store
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »
Along the lines of @FishersFirst post.
You can/should treat carbonation pressure and serving pressure separately.
i.e. I set up a system for our rugby club using an icebank chiller. Generally the kegs sit behind the bar at ambient temp of around 18C. To keep CO2 in solution at that temp I need about 240kpa and a balanced line length. I pour commercial beer through the system and occasionally a keg of a lower carbed ale will be on.
No change in serving pressure needed but gas does need to be disconnected at the end of the day.
In a home setting I balance my system to pour my most common beers and carb each keg to the level to suit the beer style not the system. If I leave gas on the kegs my lower carbed beers will slowly increase in carb level and if I ever have a wheat on it would slowly decrease in carb.