collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: Small Batch Brewing Kegging  (Read 268 times)

Offline Johno

• Member Rating 0
Small Batch Brewing Kegging
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
Hey guys,

Interested in getting into kegging but only have time/space/money to do it in on a small scale.

What’s the best/cheapest/easiest way to get into it?? I have seen Ikegger and smallbatchbrewing.com.au which sell 5l kegging setups but does anybody have any feedback how that goes using soda stream canisters for the co2 or am I better off getting a proper c02 tank?

I’m only interested in doing small extract/partial mash/Biab on my stove top due to space/time/money in 5l or 8.5 l (as I got s free coopers craft fermenter - assuming I can scale recipes in beer Smith for 5l or 8.5l) so is a 5l ikegger ideal or should I go a 9.5l keg either with soda stream or proper c02??

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Mark D Pirate

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 10
  • Just another brewer
Re: Small Batch Brewing Kegging
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 04:43:08 AM »
I bought a" tap a draft " rig when I first started moving away from bottles .
I ended up buying a second tap and extra kegs , handy little rig and portable as fuck once i butchered some soft eskys to carry them .
Downside is the Aus importer is a slack prick and not brought stock in for a few years Do you have family or friends in the US or EU ?I'll add photos of it tonight
Life begins at 40 ....IBUs

Offline MAH

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 14
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »
Even if starting out in small batches, it will be most economical to buy some standard kegging gear. My suggestion is;
1 x 9.5L ball lock keg                          $86
1 x 2.6kg CO2 Tank                            $89
1 x CO2 Regulator                              $40
1 x Gas Quick Disconnect                    $2.60
1 x Liquid Quick Disconnect                 $2.60
1 x 12m roll 4mm x 8mm EVA tubing   $9.90
1 x Picnic Tap                                     $3.99
1 x Delivery to Adelaide                      $17.70

Total cost for initial setup is $251.79.

There are a lot of benefits to this approach. You can easily add more if you want to build a dedicated keggerator as all the parts are standard homebrew kegging. You can use it as portable party system (a lot of people use these exact parts). If you decide kegging isn't for you, it will be easy to sell and you would get quite a bit of your money back.

Some possible upgrades would be a Mini all-in-one regulator ($45) which can be attached to either a standard CO2 bottle or use the supplied bushing and you can use 16gm CO2 bulbs. This would make it a very portable system. Another upgrade would be to use threaded MFL disconnects rather than barbed. You can then use either swivel nut and barb to attach the gas/beer line, or push fittings like John Guest.

I do a lot of split batch and small batch brewing. I have quite a few 9.5L kegs and only a couple of 19L kegs. The small batch/split batch approach suits my needs, but at the same time all the basic parts are interchangeable if you want to start double batch brewing.

Cheers

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »
Even if starting out in small batches, it will be most economical to buy some standard kegging gear. My suggestion is;
1 x 9.5L ball lock keg                          $86
1 x 2.6kg CO2 Tank                            $89
1 x CO2 Regulator                              $40
1 x Gas Quick Disconnect                    $2.60
1 x Liquid Quick Disconnect                 $2.60
1 x 12m roll 4mm x 8mm EVA tubing   $9.90
1 x Picnic Tap                                     $3.99
1 x Delivery to Adelaide                      $17.70

Total cost for initial setup is $251.79.

There are a lot of benefits to this approach. You can easily add more if you want to build a dedicated keggerator as all the parts are standard homebrew kegging. You can use it as portable party system (a lot of people use these exact parts). If you decide kegging isn't for you, it will be easy to sell and you would get quite a bit of your money back.

Some possible upgrades would be a Mini all-in-one regulator ($45) which can be attached to either a standard CO2 bottle or use the supplied bushing and you can use 16gm CO2 bulbs. This would make it a very portable system. Another upgrade would be to use threaded MFL disconnects rather than barbed. You can then use either swivel nut and barb to attach the gas/beer line, or push fittings like John Guest.

I do a lot of split batch and small batch brewing. I have quite a few 9.5L kegs and only a couple of 19L kegs. The small batch/split batch approach suits my needs, but at the same time all the basic parts are interchangeable if you want to start double batch brewing.

Cheers

I second this, bits are all easy to access and replace. Can add more to it as you go without needing to replace or change the system.

Soda stream bottles are cheap and swap and go at a few places. Good for a portable setup. Still need the regulator and an adapter to fit it (If you go the 'normal' regulator)

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:15:33 AM »
For a portable setup you don't need CO2 if you plan on draining the keg in a session. I use a bike pump. You could naturally carbonate the keg with sugar like you do for bottles. No CO2 bottle or regulator required.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk