collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Search

Author Topic: Yeast starter with a can of kit beer?  (Read 258 times)

Offline MarshallBrew

• Member Rating 0
Yeast starter with a can of kit beer?
« on: May 09, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
Guys, bit of advice if you will..

Getting back into brewing after a couple years off due to slackness on my behalf.

Looking to kick things off with a simple sparkling ale clone, using coopers yrast.

Obviously need a yeast starter and have a kit brew lying around that I was given and will never use so was wondering if that would work for a yeast starter?

Any advice appreciated!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Offline Scrivenovski

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 41
Re: Yeast starter with a can of kit beer?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »
You could, but I wouldnt. A few things to consider when making your starter:
You want the starter wort to be around 1.040 SG. This could be achieved using the kit if you get quantities right. You generally want all maltose in your starter wort, if the kit has various malts in it you could have all sorts of dextrins which in layman terms tends to get the yeast used to eating them and when you pitch them in your beer they dont eat all the maltose and stall ferment early. I cant comment on the extent to which this may occur from a kit wort (may be negligible, may not be). You also dont want hops in the starter wort. Hop oils coat the yeast cells and either assists in killing them off or prohibits their growth (cant remember exactly). Again, not sure of the extent of this, I expect it wouldnt be a massive problem.

Given consideration to the above, you could give it a go. Is it ideal? No, but would you be able to tell? Not sure. Not sure that helps you much, give it a go and report back.

Offline MarshallBrew

• Member Rating 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »
Thanks mate.

Will give it a crack and see how it goes.

Will let you know how i get on

Offline brewGMP

• Member Rating 1
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 06:33:02 AM »
I’ve used the cheap home brand cans as a source for starters when running large batches (120 to 200L). I haven’t had any problems with stuck ferments or yeast health. I use only the can and sufficient hot water to get my desired SG.

I’ve made at least 10 batches with this technique and I’ve established it as my go to starter for large brews. You need to time the starter so you don’t leave them in depleated wort longer than 2 days, especially if warm. Transferring them too early (mid ferment) could also lead to problems, particularly if you want to settle them out before transfer.

I’ve haven’t been negligent but I haven’t been very scientific about it either, and it’s worked well for me. Saves buying the recommended number of yeast packs for a big brew.

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 133
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
Grumpys, many years ago, used to make a starter for a 1200L batch using one of their hopped kits in a standard 20L batch. Pitch at high krausen. Yeast used was a Wyeast propagator pack. No idea of their oxygen regime.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk