collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Search

Author Topic: Tastings for club nights  (Read 27307 times)

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
Tastings for club nights
« on: September 11, 2012, 06:17:45 PM »
To make things fair,I was going to get a list going, 

if you want a beer critiqued/tasted/etc and it doesn't have to be one brewed to any standard or method of brewing, Kit brews are welcome. It can also be a beer with faults or anything you want to share.

Depending on what is going on for each meeting there will be more or less people able to bring beers but there will be tastings each night. I will let you know and there will be a back up as well. If your name is next on the list and you can't make the night then you will be first choice for the next month.

Just a hint, if you really want your beer tasted host a night and discuss a style or whatever floats your boat! Similar to what Chillbilly is doing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:05:24 PM by Doomed »

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
Re: Tastings for club nights
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
Nearly forgot, at current attendance rates, 3 bottles to bring, so everyone gets a taste. If you just put your name on the list, we don't need to know what you are bringing, unless you want to tell us. If you have two or more different beers you want to bring then leave a gap of 3 spaces so we can share it around.
If it is not your turn to bring your sample then do not bring beer.

As I mentioned we need 3 for the 19th, get your names in quick! (and if there are no takers then you will be having my beers, and they have faults!)

If someone has a better way of doing things then please let me know, it needs to be under the wheaty guidelines and therefore needs to be regulated.

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
I would suggest about 100-200ml per sample? It will depend on how many people are coming and if we have some who come without putting their names down. We want everyone to have a sample.

If we end up getting larger numbers turn up we will need to revise.

There will be some trial and error with amounts and numbers of people while we work it out. The aim is to use up to the 1 longneck per person. That way people don't have to spend a fortune over the bar but they still get a reasonable drink if they have to drive.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:13:16 AM by bookworm1707 »

Offline Dan

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 51
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
The beer presentation sessions seemed to be pretty well received, but didn't manage to get that critical mass of a regular session to keep them going. I think the format worked pretty well, and is mostly described in the thread linked earlier.

The people who turned up to the first one put in a lot of effort with regards to describing the aims and processes for the beers and there were some interesting discussions out of it.

The key points as I see it are:
  • Everyone has the same beer in front of them at the same time. This was the real driver behind the presentation sessions as I was looking for something more structured than case swaps/brew days which are a bit more haphazard. I think a club tasting format should have a similar structure to the 'designated' tastings.
  • The recipe and brewer are available for discussion. People who brought beers to the presentation sessions turned up with a few copies of beersmith printouts or similar so that we had the recipe, and to some extent process, in front of us. The process was further expanded on by the brewer (like Zoigl I think it was and his use of a foam control solution to contain the boil and ferment in smaller than idea containers). Alternatively someone may want to 'hold back' an ingredient/fault/something else to see if anyone else can detect it. This can be useful if trying a new technique or ingredient, etc. A set of style guidelines can be handy, but is not essential unless someone is specifically trying to nail a particular style.
  • There's not too many 'designated' tastings. 4-5 is really the most I think you can get a group to focus on in one go. It also takes a bit of time to get through, and based on the topics that have been suggested we're going to have a bit more than just tasting to get through at these sessions. And of course, given people will inevitably be driving the amount of alcohol needs to be considered. Everyone should be able to taste all the 'designated' beers without worrying about driving home, even if they're IIPAs or doppelbocks or barleywines or whatever. So maybe 3-4 might be the right amount for club meetings, including anything that ties in with other topics.

Tying in tastings with topics will also be good to break it up a bit, as the beer can be poured and handed out while someone is presenting on the topic, then do the tasting as we go through. This kind of thing was done with good effect at the ANHC a couple of years ago. There was one session that had two tastings of the same beer brewed with different water chemistry, and another describing a beer brewed to a historical recipe.

I think it would also be a good idea to designate a tasting for a commercial beer, perhaps selected by the Wheaty staff (given some guidance in what we are doing for the night, so e.g. on the Rye Spectacular they would suggest a beer with a rye component). Maybe someone would be available to come and give a quick run down on the beer and brewery etc.? It would also be a good way to ensure the club is putting some money over the bar (although I'm sure that won't be a problem...). With bottles this is relatively straightforward, not sure how we would go with a tap beer unless we just did butchers all around.

And of course there needs to be time to head to the bar and get whatever new that is on tap!

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
Tastings for club nights
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »
And I know people will have no interest having their beer judged to that level and that will be catered for. The idea being, when you present your beer let us know what you want to know. Some may just be happy to know that their beer tastes good (or bad) and here are some tips if you want them.
These will not be a pure bjcp thing but it will be available on most nights if not all.
The beer I will bring I am just after an is it good and what would make it better.

Again trying to make it available for everyone and any method. If you have a kit please feel welcome to bring it.

Offline fergi

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 4
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
i am just wondering guys is the wheatsheaf up here near gawler, on the lyndoch road.
 i dont have any bottled beer as i only keg but i am going to bottle some from now on.
 would like to try someone elses beer and get mine critiqued.
i live at hamley bridge which is about 30 minutes north of gawler so traveling can be a problem sometimes but i would like to get to a meeting or two when i can fit it in.
  fergi

Offline NigeP62

• Friendly Online Brewstore Owner
  • Retailer
  • Member Rating 81
    • Online Brew Store
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
Wrong Wheatsheaf Fergi, this one is in Thebarton

Offline fergi

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 4
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
bugger ,got a bit excited there, anyway i might get there at times.
 what night is it usually on nige.

Offline NigeP62

• Friendly Online Brewstore Owner
  • Retailer
  • Member Rating 81
    • Online Brew Store
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
Meetings are scheduled for the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
I think Decembers meeting is earlier in the month to allow for all the other stuff going on in the month.

Offline muckinfuggle

• Member Rating 24
  • sabrew.com
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
i am just wondering guys is the wheatsheaf up here near gawler, on the lyndoch road.
 i dont have any bottled beer as i only keg but i am going to bottle some from now on.
 would like to try someone elses beer and get mine critiqued.
i live at hamley bridge which is about 30 minutes north of gawler so traveling can be a problem sometimes but i would like to get to a meeting or two when i can fit it in.
  fergi

Dont be put off Fergi, just run your beer off slowly and calmly into a couple of prechilled long necks, try to avoid any foaming and fill as full as you can. Cap off and keep cold. The beer will be fine on the night in fact I only just finished one of mine off that I forgot about. It was bottled from the keg two or three weeks ago for the club night and it tasted fine yesterday with no oxidation or noticeable loss of carbonation. If you dont have long necks even coke bottles will do as long as you keep the beer in the dark!
"Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed, a lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed."

Offline bookworm1707

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
Fergi, it is the third Wednesday of the month, 7pm at the wheatsheaf hotel, just to the west of the city.

If you only keg, then do as muckingfuggle said, if you are worried just let us know on the night as it will only be a bit flat more than likely. No problems for tasting.

There is a section of the forum dealing with the club and the various goings on.

Offline Doomed

• Member Rating 32
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 12:11:55 PM »
Thread cleaned up little, old tasting lists removed, dribble and OT posts removed.  Please keep posts on topic in this thread, please.

Offline Doomed

• Member Rating 32
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
New tasting list for for the April 17th SABC club night.  Can those who have brewed for the malt comparison experiment and can get it to the Wheaty for this meeting please add you name to the list.  Expect to supply 3 longnecks.

1. Doomed - Weyermann Pale Ale

Offline DrSmurto

• Naturopath
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 131
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »

New tasting list for for the April 17th SABC club night.  Can those who have brewed for the malt comparison experiment and can get it to the Wheaty for this meeting please add you name to the list.  Expect to supply 3 longnecks.

2. DrSmurto - Weyermann Rye

Offline gravey

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 18
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »

3. gravey - Weyermann Pilsner

Offline Doomed

• Member Rating 32
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »
I bottled mine off last night and passed them onto Hatchy along with MoM's beers. 

With 19 people expecting to turn up if people can supply 3 longnecks that would be great.  2 at a minimum.

1. Doomed - Weyermann Pale Ale - with Hatchy
3. Mayor of Mildura - Weyermann Abbey malt  - with Hatchy
4. Schulkingal - Weyermann Vienna malt - DrSmurto to bring along?
5. String ?
6. TDA ?
7. labels ?

String and TDA, did you manage to get any bottles to Hatchy?  Labels, have dropped off any bottles to gravey?

Online labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 32
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 05:40:08 PM »

I've sent a PM to Gravey, if I hear back I will drop off some bottles to him this evening.

Steve
Just another Adelaide brewer

Online labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 32
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
Haven't heard back from Gravey at this stage but he might not be home. If there is anyone else that lives close(ish) to Gulfview Heights/ Para Hills area that are going to the meeting and can take these along please send me a message.
-Steve
EDIT: I'll drop them off, I don't expect anyone to pick them up.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:20:11 PM by labels »

Online labels

• SA Locals
  • Member Rating 32
  • very useful post
    • blog adelaide
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
Dan has a couple of bottles.
-Steve
1. Doomed - Weyermann Pale Ale - with Hatchy
3. Mayor of Mildura - Weyermann Abbey malt  - with Hatchy
4. Schulkingal - Weyermann Vienna malt - DrSmurto to bring along?
5. String ?
6. TDA ?
7. labels - Dan to bring along

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:22:39 PM by labels »

Offline BigDaddy

• Suchst Du gutes Bier und Essen? Kommst Du mit!
  • SA Locals
  • Member Rating 20
  • Ich bin Fix und Fertig!!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »
This is the tasting list for Club Night - 19th June

Please put your names down of you have a beer for tasting:

Cheers,

BD